1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorites List Problem

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by PirateJim, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PirateJim

PirateJim Cool Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Don't know if anyone else ever had a problem like this...
    On one of my GAEB0 receivers, I'm having a problem adding the "new" channels that D* just gave us: BYU, NASA, RFD and EWTN...
    I put the checkmark in the box, but then when I scroll down, the checkmark goes away...
    I had a similar problem a couple of years back, but it was the opposite...
    I would try to delete a station, but the checkmark would come back after I scrolled away from it...
    In that instance, D* automatically sent an update to the receiver and it was fine afterwards - until now...
    The last software update the receiver got was 5475 in October 2002...
    I have three other GAEBO's - and there is no problem with them ...
    Thanks...

2. smorg

smorg Cool Member

Aug 26, 2002
    I have this exact same problem! I noticed it first with NickToons, etc. I cannot add anything for the past few months and need to use "all channels" which blows.

I have called and emailed directv and no one can help. I have a Sony reciever model Sat-B65 with the last upgrade on 10.18.2002 - Version 5475.

I hate this and cannot fix it. Tried unplugging, etc.. still nothing... Can anyone help??

3. fuji426

fuji426 Guest

I'm having the same problem with the locals and the favorite list on my Sony SAT-A65 receiver. DirecTV originally said it was problem on their end, but now they are trying to tell me it's an issue with my receiver because no one else has ever reported the problem to them. I tried everything to get the locals to stay in my favorites list but nothing works. I use to have the NASA channel locked into my favorites list but the minute my locals came on line June 10th it kicked NASA out of my favorites and I can't lock it back in. My signal strength is 96-100 on all three satellites. DirecTV even sent a tech out to my house, but he knew less about the system than me. DirecTV refuses to admit it's a problem on their end, but I never had these issues until the day my locals showed up.

4. jpurkey

jpurkey Godfather

May 15, 2003
    Not sure about other receivers, but with the RCA430 receiver you can't select or deselect more than 300 channels. If you want to have more than 300 channels selected then you first need to use the "Add All" option and then deslect the channels you don't want on the list. Or if you want only a few channels to be selected then you first need to use the "Delete All" option and then add only the channels you want.

5. PirateJim

PirateJim Cool Member

Dec 15, 2003
    No, it's not that...
    I'm dealing with less than 300 channels...
    I've tried the Add All feature, but it skips over BYU, NASA, RFD and EWTN (which are the channels I want to add)...
    Actually, those channels WERE checked off in "Favorites C" and "Family", but when I tried to edit those lists, thinking I could just use one of them instead of "Favorites A", the checks disappeared...
    So, for those 4 channels, there are blanks across all 4 lists: A, B, C and Family...

6. fuji426

fuji426 Guest

I'm only dealing with about 65 channels, far less than 300. Add All, Delete All, renaming the favorites list, nothing works. When I go to Auto Set it scans all the channels in and even recognizes my locals, but will not put them in any favorites list. I've bought a 6 month old Hughes GCEBO receiver off of ebay and once I get that I'll see if it really is my Sony that's giving me the problem. By the way, I ripped so many people at DirecTV over this issue they finally caved in somewhat and gave me a $100 credit on my account. They wanted to replace my top of the line Sony for free, but with a bottom end refurbished unit and they couldn't even tell me what brand it would be.

7. BrettStah

BrettStah Legend

Feb 7, 2003
    Try adding one or two at a time.

8. fuji426f@yahoo.com

fuji426f@yahoo.com New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    As I mentioned in my first post - I've tried everything! That includes trying to add the channels one by one. Even tried locks and limits, ratings, etc.

9. fuji426

fuji426 New Member

Jun 29, 2004
    DirecTV's contention that this is a problem with the receiver makes no sense, since the NASA channel was locked into my favorites list up until the day locals came online. One of their reps thought it might be the receiver because it wasn't locking in double digit channels, but that isn't true either because channel 99 locks in. NASA channel used to be on the 119 degree satellite, but when my locals came online they were placed on the 101 degree satellite and I was told NASA was moved to that satellite as well, which only underscores the fact that this has to be a problem on DirecTV's end. On top of all that, now my program guide locks up occassionally to the point I have to reset the receiver.

10. smorg

smorg Cool Member

Aug 26, 2002
    The first time I noticed this problem was when DirecTV added NickToons and a few other channels.. My guess is, and i feel I'm about 95% correct on this, is that all that needs to be done is a software upgrade. The box is not understanding that these new channels can be added.

The only problem is that no one there has any idea about this. I've called and the CSR wasn't very helpful, telling me to do obvious things, like reset the box, add all channels, delete all channels, etc.

The problem is the software within the box and the only way that can be fixed is if DirecTV can patch it.

I think that the fact that NASA switched satellites was like a deletion of the channel, then an addition of the channel. So, since it was moved from one satellite to another, the box thinks it is a new channel and cannot add it.

I have to us the guide in All Channels mode to get the newer channels, NASA, and my locals. A bit of an inconvience having to scroll through all the PPV and Premiums.

Hopefully, someone with some 'smarts' over at DirecTV is reading this and understands the problem more sufficiently than the CSRs who had no clue and tried to get me to pay $50 for a new box for a problem that wasn't my fault.

11. PirateJim

PirateJim Cool Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Yes, that's exactly it...
    I had a similiar problem a couple of years ago (where I would delete a channel, but then it would re-appear) - and a few weeks later, D* sent an upgrade to the receiver and it was fine afterwards...
    But, like I said in my original post, this is only happening on 1 of my 4 receivers - the others are perfectly fine...

12. rmladden

rmladden New Member

Jun 12, 2005
    I found this old thread and I have the same problem. I cannot add Real, LRW and the other newer channels to any favorite on my GCEBO. It's at version 5475 11/06/02 with no upgrades scheduled. I would think after all these years an upgrade would have happened.

Is there an upgrade or fix for this? If so, how do I force it? Or is this an old problem on an obsolete receiver?

13. PirateJim

PirateJim Cool Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Glad to see this topic on the board again ...
    Since I last started this thread last year, the problem has escalated into all 4 of my receivers now ...
    I will reiterate - if anyone has some insight on this problem and how to correct it, it would be appreciated ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.