1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCC on Downcoverting HD

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by Paul Secic, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
  2. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    HD downconversion is O.K., as long as they also offer the HD signal. The cable companies are not stupid. If thye offered only the downconverted signals, those with HD sets would leave for satellite (or just get the signals OTA if the stations are receivable).

The ONLY reason downconversion is being considered is so those who own only analog TV's will not end up with nothing to watch after 2007 (or is it 2009).

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm not sure this is the correct analysis of the situation. I'm pretty sure that DBS has already been here and has lost the battle. At the same time, Dish is doing exactly that with their SD outputs on HD receivers.

Since some of the networks are already letterboxing their programming (Sci-Fi is an excellent example), I'm not sure the time hasn't come for enabling the distributors to down-convert at the STB. I don't think that the intent is to discontinue offering the HD content in HD. It simply comes down to the methodology of arriving at the SD content.

I'd kind of look forward to more bandwidth devoted to a single HD feed at the broadcast level as opposed to jamming an HD and one or more SD signals into the 6MHz bandwidth.

The most rotten part of the whole process is that digital is being marketed as a much better picture simply because it is digital. HOGWASH! It is better for the broadcasters and distributors because it can be compressed.

4. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    That is precisely what I'm doing today. I have a 921 hooked up via the S-video jack to a 27" Sony Trinitron. The best PQ comes off the OTA stations' HD broadcasts :), followed by the SD satellite channels (which look better than they did via my old 4000). The worst looking channels are the LIL's (which I only had for a short time).

5. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Cable cares little for those with analog televisions but they'll appear as heros for offering a "reasonably priced" alternative to a DTV tuner. Long after NTSC goes away, cable will continue to offer NTSC outputs on their STBs.

The ability to synthesize SD programming from HD programming will simply make it profitable.

6. compubit

compubit AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 8, 2004
    One other reason I'm sure cable is happy, is that they'll be able to have the DT channels on their basic package, and not require a converter box.

Trust me - I know some of my relatives - they want one wire going into one TV set - no fancy boxes or multple remote controls to manage (heck, some relatives just got rid of the TV that still went up to Channel 83...) :)

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Despite the "gloom and doom" predictions ... this is allowing access to programming for those without HD sets. Cable and satellite will still do what is best for a competitive advantage and that is to give people the best picture that they can. All it really means is that when NTSC over-the-air shuts off there won't be millions of people without their local stations - with no chance to see the feed in any resolution.

This is a step in FAVOR of Digital Television, and HDTV. The more cable systems and satellite systems that provide OTA DT tuners (such as E*'s receivers) and pre-downconverted feeds (such as the proposed cable feeds) the quicker America reaches the 85% mark and the old NTSC broadcasts go away - allowing stations to concentrate on their DIGITAL FEEDS including HDTV.

Some nights I wonder if the local stations are even monitoring their "HD" digital stations ... the NTSC signals almost always seem to be produced better. The exception is the owner that decided to go full HDTV as of earlier this year. Their entire station is produced for HD and is broadcast on cable in this manner. Their NTSC stations are the downconverts. This FCC decision is a step in that direction ... allowing stations to MOVE ON to concentrate on digital and let others do the downconvert.

8. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    On December 31st 2008 at 11.59 PM analog signals are to be shut off, unless Congress changes it's mind which possible. Hopfully not because it could go on & on.

9. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Actually the cutoff date is in February of 2009. I belive the 18th.

10. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
  11. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I'd have to question this. The vast majority of TV's out in the world are not digital capable. Even in homes where people participate in Forums such as this, there are likely a couple of analog sets being used as secondary sets. :)

12. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Close!

The "Deficit Reduction Act of 2005" puts the date at February 17th, 2009.

What remains to be seen is whether or not the $1.5 BILLION investment in developing an "inexpensive" D-A tuner box bears any fruit. I'm betting that they could cost-reduce the 811 to a point where they could give out boxes to anyone who wanted them for free and still have more than a billion dollars left over.

13. boylehome

boylehome Hall Of Fame/Supporter

Jul 16, 2004
    Before long every new TV will have ATSC. The majority of TV users rely on cable boxes, satellite receivers, or other source besides NTSC. ATSC tuners have dropped in price and should continue to drop. By the time that analog is shut off, the remainder of conversion to ATSC will be great but not impossible.

14. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Not exactly...
    It's a filing against the "broadcast flag" technology (copy prevention).

BTW: they give "definitions" for various acronyms. Check out what they believe "D-VHS" stands for :rolleyes:

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Given the lifetime of a modern television, I'd guess that as many as 1/3 of the televisions in operation today will bite the big one or be naturally replaced before the cutoff. Another significant portion of the populace is waiting for digital tuner to appear in the $99 portable TV combo.

I'd be much more concerned about cable operators cutting off analog cablecast than broadcasters shutting off analog transmissions.

16. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    Interesting, if jaded, perspective. Don't be confused by Forums where most are airing problems as opposed to boring reports of trouble-free operation. :rolleyes:

17. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I have 2 TVs... My oldest one is a really nice 32" that I bought in 1995, and it is still going strong some 11 years later. Knock-on-wood, I don't see any need to replace it in the near future. My HDTV is only a few years old, and if I get similar life from it I would expect it to be around for another 8-10 years and its possible my 32" may still be in use then as well!

18. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm jaded from trying to find someone locally who would be willing to fix any newer television. The repair people say that they can't get the parts necessary to work on the newer televisions.

Like any righteous pain-in-the-neck consumer, I asked around among the TV repair crowd and they were more interested in talking about refurbishing 1950's vintage Philcos because they could find the parts and fix them.

I personally have one RCA that is 30+ years old and a Sony XBR50 that is about 17 years old. The Sony has been in the shop once and the RCA has never missed a beat. It will be nostalgia that keeps those units around because I could functionally outdo either of them with a $200 "tabletop" model with built-in NTSC and ATSC tuners.

19. KingLoop

KingLoop Custom User Title DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 3, 2005
    I would rather watch an HD show down converted than an analogue signal up converted. I have seen HD down converted to 480i and it looks better than any analogue picture I have ever seen.

20. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Since the topic of this thread and the ensuing descussion has nothing
    whatsoever to do with Dish or DBS in general, shouldn't it be more
    appropriately placed in the "General Discussion" forum?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.