1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FEATURE REQUEST: 16x9 Mode #2

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by KevinCA, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinCA

KevinCA Cool Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I would like the 622 to have a second 16x9 mode that "stretches" SD channels, while keeping HD channels non-stretched. That way, HD and SD images will both fill a wide screen television.

Currently the 622 has two modes for 4x3 televisions, but only one for 16x9 televisions. The 16x9 television mode does not stretch SD channels - adding black bars on each side of the image.

Hope this is possible. My Sharp LCD has two stretch modes, "smart stretch" and "stretch", but they are disabled when using component or hdmi/dvi interfaces. My LCD is 720p, if that makes a difference.

Ideally, the stretch would be a "smart stretch", where the sides of the image are stretched more than the center. But any stretch algorithm would be good.

Other than this, and an occasional spurious reboot that reminds me of our 508 when it was new, the 622 is great. :)

2. Lorax

Lorax AllStar

Apr 22, 2002
    Have you used the "format" button of the remote for the stretch/zoom modes? The stretch mode is ok - I prefer the "partial zoom"....There isnt a panorama zoom like you mentioned but I dont miss it - they make me ill during sporting events.

3. Bogey62

Bogey62 Godfather

Nov 30, 2002
    Ditto that. I use 1080, 16x9, Partial Zoom for the SD channels and 1080, 16x9, Normal for the HDs.

4. DAG

DAG Legend

Feb 7, 2006
    Sounds like the original poster needs to cycle through the various modes by using the "format" button. These modes are even "sticky" by individual channel number! Set up a particular channel and it'll stay that format, at least on my setup.

5. KevinCA

KevinCA Cool Member

Feb 10, 2006
    I was not aware of the "format" button. I cycled through the options quickly. Zoom and Partial Zoom in 16x9 mode are good for SD channels.

I still need to experiment to see if HD channels are automatically Normal, and the SD channels have sticky Zoom or Partial Zoom. That would match what I am looking for.

6. DVDDAD

DVDDAD Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 21, 2002
    The format button or the "*" button no the bottom of the remote control cycles through NORMAL, STRETCH, PARTIAL ZOOM, ZOOM & GREY BAR when you are on a HD channel and will stay in the last mode selected on all HD channels, until it is changed again.

The same modes are available on SD channels and again whatever mode is selected last is the mode that is defaulted to whenever you turn to a SD channel. So whatever you like for SD channels will stay the same on all SD channels unless you change the mode yourself. On HD channels, NORMAL will be good for HD broadcasts that are in 16x9, but if a 4x3 HD program airs, you might want to use another mode. When you then go to a 16x9 HD program you'll have to go back to normal.

7. DAG

DAG Legend

Feb 7, 2006
    My sat channels, SD and HD are not individually sticky. The format you pick applies to all. If I pick normal for HD channels, they all stick that way.

My OTA channels are all individually sticky by channel number.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.