1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feature request :) for vod

Discussion in 'Service - DIRECTV On Demand CE Versions' started by l3laze, Sep 17, 2007.

1. l3laze

l3laze AllStar

Jan 10, 2007
    Alright here is my idea that alot of people have liked.....

So you are looking around for somthing on demand...and you see somthing like "vegas vacation"....you think maybe ill watch that...and you click it....and when you click it, it starts downloading as soon as you click it...but it brings you to the place so you can see what it is about...so basicly it starts to buffer in the background...and so you wait a few secs and watch it now will lite up and you can watch it streaming...or if you decied not to watch it when you back out it auto deletes the cache like it was never there ....i think i explained it right...;p

2. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I don't see how a few extra seconds of buffering is really all that useful. If your connection is fast enough, you can watch it immediately. If it's not, then that extra few seconds isn't really going to do anything for you.

3. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seconds, on the right things, matter greatly to the user experience.

Cheers,
    Tom

4. FlyBono24

FlyBono24 Godfather

Jan 2, 2007
    I wonder how much bandwidth that would consume, though... if thousands of people are just "browsing" through movies at the same time, and they are all downloading a buffer....

5. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    However, it would be nice if once it started to download, you had a button that became enabled that allowed you to watch it now. (Or one that both started it immediately downloading and then began playback immediately, so that you could watch it.)

Right now, it feels more like video on request, than video on demand. I have a fast enough connection that a show downloads in about the same time it would take to play it. Therefore, if the idea is that VOD/DOD is watching something now, then I would like the option to watch it now.

I know that all I have to do is go to the playlist. It's right there on top downloading and click it. it's not hard. I don't mind doing it. I just think that it doesn't feel like I thought VOD would. I approach it as just another type of guide with shows I can record. Shows that I may want to watch over the next few days/week. I don't think of it as looking for something that I want to watch now. Maybe it's not practical yet with typical connection speeds? Maybe when there is satellite based options, there with be a watch now button?

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If you see a little "clapper" next to the title you can see a trailer for it immediately. I know that most of the selections don't have the little clapper but it's something. I think that downloading every selection you click on would take an untenable amount of bandwidth.

7. borghe

borghe Legend

Oct 6, 2006
    am I doing something wrong? I want to basically be able to press a single button from the "buy" screen to start watching. Right now I have to start the download, go to my list and select it from there. I would really like being able to just play it right from the "buy" screen.

8. l3laze

l3laze AllStar

Jan 10, 2007
    \

nope your doing it right..thats what we mean..we want to skiip that to make it more on demand...

9. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    I agree, but I think that this is the wrong place to shave off those seconds. As many others have said, there needs to be a Watch Now option. THAT will be a tremendously useful time saver, and make the whole thing feel much more like cable's true on demand system.