1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Features You do not want The R15 to ever get ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by joegrjoe, Mar 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joegrjoe

joegrjoe Banned User

Mar 16, 2006
    Mine would be Only allowing the consumer keep a program we recorded for only a set amount of time and not be able keep them untill we delete them.

2. ISWIZ

ISWIZ Icon

Nov 18, 2005
    One to block recording to DVD for personal use.

3. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    First would be overshoot correction, number one thing I hate about my DirecTiVo. I want it to stop where I stop it and not fight back and forth with a device thats supposed to help my viewing not frustrate it.

Next would be dual buffers or really anything to do with them. I have a DVR and a large point of a dual tuner DVR if you ask me is your not supposed to watch so much live TV that a buffer really matters at all. Take it/them out for all I care and concentrate on other more important things like stability.

Anything to do with TiVo. Tivo has been around for many many years and DirecTV's first non TiVo DVR blows it away feature wise in my opinion. Keep it up and move past them. Dont just turn the R-15 into a DirecTiVo feature by feature or there is no sense in developing your own DVR. Just stick with TiVo if all your going to do is copy feature by feature into the R-15.

Backdoor codes. If your going to put in a feature then PUT IT IN, tell everyone about it, update DirecTV techs and CSR's about it, etc....

Hackability. Make it unhackable so everyone that has one has the exact same features. So it doesnt become like the older DirecTiVos where one has this and another that. It just complicates things and adds to the problems.

Turning it into an everything device. This is a DVR for recording and watching TV. Concentrate on that and dont cloud the water with unneeded non TV related features. If I wanted a do everything or all in one device I would use my PC. I dont as I want a TV DVR.

4. qwerty

qwerty Hall Of Fame

Feb 19, 2006
    An advance button that advances to the end of the program instead of advancing 30 seconds!

5. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Obviously you do not watch sports. I'm not sure how you make the leap that a large point of a dual DVR is your not suppose to watch much live TV.

I guess your R15 must be different from mine in that yours must not limit the number of series/to do's that can be set up, because otherwise, completely eliminating live TV is impossible.

The R15 is not in my main room largely because it doesn't have dual live buffers and will continue to be a second class citizen until it does (like everybody elses DVR's, ie the motorola DVR's, Dish Networks DVR's and the Directivos.)

6. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Ok Bobman, you have no use for dual buffers. Others obviously do. Why would you consider dual buffers as something you would NOT want added to the R15? If you have no need for dual buffers, don't use that feature. But adding dual buffers would increase the acceptance factor for customers with previous experience with other DVRs, thus making the R15 a better product to all customers.

Why would you even say that? Did Tivo not pioneer the DVR? Is the word "Tivo" not now part of our vocabulary? To say you want the R15 to have no Tivo features makes no sense to me.

There's no need to turn the R15 into a Tivo, but there are plenty of Tivo features that many of us would love to have.

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    And when we buy new PCs should we be allowed to add extra RAM or another hard drive at a later date? Should we only use the software that comes with it? Is Mozilla Firefox your web browser? If so I hope you don't have extensions installed. I can't understand for the life of me why you are against mods. It's all about tinkering and added functionality. If you don't want to hack a box, fine don't, but in no way do those who do negatively affect you. Hacks are just that hacks, their not officially supported and problems are usually resolved by communicating with other guru’s online.

8. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I'm sure DTV or NDS doesn't have that on their list of ToDos and has made the R15 as hack-proof as possible. But as we all know, everything can be hacked.

But how does a unit that can be hacked to add features "complicate" anything?

I guess I really don't understand much of your post. Post #s 1, 2 and 4 I can understand.

Also, the comment about the "Everything else device"? What would you think that includes? I would doubt DTV would add features to the R15 to control your A/C. ;)

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Damn, and that's one feature I was hoping for!

10. laxcoach

laxcoach Legend

Dec 6, 2005
    Maybe I'm the one who is missing Bobman's point. I could have sworn he was being sarcastic.

11. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    Given the context of his other posts, I sincerely doubt it.

12. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    He wasn't, which gives a pretty good indication of how ridiculous his point of view was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.