1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FEB.1st DISH is raising lease fee on HD

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by boba, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    In the dealer FACTS BLAST the lease fee for HD receivers is going to $6.00.
    It also looks like the $4.99 Additional Outlet fee is going up a penny to $5 but that is 12million pennies at the minimum./Mo. For you dealers look under the section "Service Fee Changes-Effective February 1, 2006".:(

2. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Is this true?? If dish lease fees go up $2.00 than it looks like I will go with comstat since I will save money going with their internet and cable package. I hope dish will not raise the rates as this could lead to a lot of turnover at dish since I understand that D* rates will be $5.00 with no money upfront to lease their boxes.

3. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    DISH (substitute cable) is nickel and dimeing their customers. $1 on HD $1 on DVR fees and $3 on programming. That is $60/Yr. more to get the same thing minus Lifetime and OLN.

4. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    I read on another thread that the $6.00 HD fee was if you had an HD receiver and did not subscribe to the HD pak. I did not understand that to be a "lease"fee, as I OWN my 921.

I still have not seen my letter from Charlie explaining the price increase. I was ready to go back to my old 4000 if they were going to charge me $6.00.

If this is really a "lease" fee and they try to charge me I guess it's time to contact my state Attourney General's office. I paid $549 for the POS, I mean 921.

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The $6 fee is only if you get a HD receiver from E* and don't use it for HD.

6. blkhouse

blkhouse Guest

Jan 18, 2005
    Okay I am confused. Is it if you purchase an HD receiver in the future from E*, if you currently already own a receiver (don't subscribe to HD), or both?

7. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Neither? How about if you lease a HD receiver but don't have DishHD. That would be worthy of a 'penalty fee' for having a HD box while others are waiting for theirs.

8. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    If you are a dealer reread the facts blast we are talking about 2 different fees. The lease fee is going up to $6 on HD receivers.:)

9. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Oooooooh.

10. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    So, IOWs, if you drop the HD pack on a leased HD receiver, you no longer have to return it, but you have to pay $6.00 a month instead of the $10 HD package price. What a crop of crap. And everyone wonders why I prefer to OWN my receivers. I even called E* the other day about whether I will be able to add my 6000 and 811 after Feb 1st, but was told that they aren't sure yet.

Ok, here's the deal:

Lease fee on HD receivers will be $6.00 per month.
    Lease fee on SD receivers will be $5.00 per month(also additional outlet on owned receivers)
    DVR fee will be $5.98 per month per DVR
    Additional Outlet fee on Owned HD receivers will be $6.00 per month
    HD enabling fee will be $6.00 per month (applies ONLY to the ViP211 and ViP622 not receiving HD programming) No distinction made between leased or owned.

Dual tuner Additional Outlet fee of $5.00 for no phone line connection for SD or HD Dual Tuners.

HD Pack and Voom 10 Pack will no longer be available to ANY subs adding HD after 2-1-06. Current subs will keep the pack and price, but I think that once you upgrade to a ViP or 411 you will have to get one of the new HD packs and will lose the old one.

Answers my question...

11. Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5 Hall Of Fame

Mar 11, 2003
    Does the additional outlet fee mean the same thing as additional receiver fee? All of these new fees and names for it , are really confusing.

12. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004

That is the part that scares me!

13. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Additional recevier fee would be for the receiver, like $5 for a 311 or $6 for an 811.

Additional Outlet fee is for the 2nd tuner of the dual output receivers like the 625. You only pay that if it is not connected to a phone line.

14. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    ...but my local cable company (Time Warner) has all kinds of per-box fees and per-remote fees as well. I haven't compared the prices on those lately vs the additional outlet fees with Dish, but in the past these have generally been in the same ballpark.

15. drdr

drdr New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Which of these fees are waived if you have AEP (soon to be platinum)? I think it is the DVR fee.

This is getting pretty confusing. Did Charlie used to sell used cars?

16. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    Not possible. In order to lease an HD receiver you must subscribe to Dish HD bronze at the minimum

17. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Then the $6 fee will be a rarely charged item - hardly worth noting or worrying about.

18. BFG

BFG Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    yes the fee is only to punish the foolish folks that for whatever reason wanted to buy an MPEG4 receiver and not subscribe to the new HD packages, which in all right is a ridiculous idea :)

19. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Which $6 fee are you not concerned about? My purchased 942 would have had a $6 extra receiver fee starting Feb 1st. I removed all other receivers from the account to make it be the primary because that was the only way the CSR said the primary could be changed. As the primary, there is no charge. I'll add back the two 50x as $5 additional receivers. I'll pay the $6 DVR fee - that too should be fairly common. I'd think there will be a lot of HD receivers that will now pay $6/month (purchased or leased) instead of $5.

Unrelated, but you can lease an HD receiver without HD Bronze if you currently sub to the existing HD Pak can't you? New leases might not, but existing should be able to continue? Or did I miss puzzle pieces somewhere?

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Buy? I'm going to wait to see a bill or clear statement to prove that assumption.
    My understanding was that it was for leased receivers. Perhaps someone who drops the DishHD package but not all of dish. Instead of saying 'kindly return your 211/622' they just charge you for hogging a HD receiver.

CABill - this is not the $6 HD receiver lease fee (up from $5). This is a penalty for not subscribing to a HD package. Two separate fees for different purposes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.