1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

February Total Choice Plus and HD Extra Pack

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by hasan, Jan 30, 2012.

1. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    From what I've read in several threads, those of us with the grandfathered Total Choice Plus package are going to lose it in early February. My primary question is what will our package name and contents change to at the time of this "forced" termination of the old TC+ package?

Since we have TC+ and HD Extra Package, what would the most cost effective package (under the new regime in February) that would maintain what we now have under TC+?

I've spend nearly an hour on the web site, and I don't find making comparisons very easy.

We have the $10.00/mo discount for HD Access until sometime next summer (auto-pay).

I'm afraid to call a CSR (and get a different (and incorrect) explanation for every person I talk with), of what is going to take place in February for the old TC+ package.

TIA for any hints ...:)

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It will be changed to Choice Xtra Classic. I know we'll keep Sprout, not sure about Cloo. I'd keep Choice Xtra Classic, it'll be easier to make changes online since it won't be a grandfathered package with not much change in channels.

3. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Thanks....I'll go to the D* web site and "try" to see how what we are about to get compares with what we currently have. (they don't make it easy!) :)

...of course they don't. I just checked and Choice Xtra Classic is not listed in the comparison section of packages. Looks like it is going to take some more hunting.

4. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    They don't have anything listed yet, or for the new Entertainment package.

5. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Thanks...at least it has a name.:)

It seems a bit strange...all this is happening on the 9th of Feb (or so), and those of us with the older package are supposed to "divine" how things are going to be handled. Not that it's the end of the world, but it seems a bit odd to leave a significant number of customers hanging....or maybe on a need to know basis, we don't.:lol:

Thanks again for taking the time to share the info. I guess we'll see what is happening on the 9th. I hope we won't be reduced to going through every channel to see what we are and are not subscribed to.

6. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I'm on a grandfathered TC+ package.
    Bill came last week, had insert with changes, wasn't clear what's happening.
    But they show me billed for TC+ through mid - February which is after Feb 9 date.

So may not be until the bill for March that I see what I'm getting/losing.

7. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    You're on the same package we are, but we have HD Extra Pack as well. It's going to be interesting to see where in their "grid" we fit.

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Choice Extra Classic will contain all the channels currently in Choice Extra and Total Choice Plus (which are both the same). At that time, they are renaming both to Choice Extra Classic. It will then be grandfathered (you wont be able to subscribe to it, like you cant subscribe to Total Choice Plus now). They are creating a NEW Choice Extra (without classic at the end) which will contain less channels than we have now (confusing eh?).

At that same time, they are removing CLOO from all packages except Choice Ultimate, and ADDING Nat Geo to CHOICE.

So for now, anyway, unless you are a fan of CLOO, then just dont do anything, and nothing will change except the name on the bill, and the price increase that goes into effect at the same time.

9. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Forgot to mention, I have HD Extra too. We are all in this together. :grin:

10. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    That is a very good explanation of a strange set of circumstances. Thanks so much for taking the time!

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I wonder if the system will let us remove HD extra and keep adding the 3 month trial back.

12. Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer Hall Of Fame

Dec 6, 2006
    The packaging changes go into effect February 9th. Some customers won't see it on their bill until their bill cycle rolls around, which could be as late as March 8th. Any channel changes will go into effect at 6:00am EST on February 9th.

For Total Choice Plus, the only change is CLOO will no longer be available. That's the change.

13. Devo1237

Devo1237 Legend

Apr 22, 2008
    Thanks for chiming in SR!

Any word what the differences between Choice Extra Classic and the New Choice Extra will be? Sounds like the new package won't have Sprout and probably a couple other channels? I'm specifically curious about the NBA and Tennis Channels.

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    SR:

Any idea when details of the Entertainment package will be available? I'm curious on the channel lineup and if it would qualify for free HD that I have.