1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feed 2 tv's with 1 receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tsduke, Oct 31, 2008.

1. tsduke

tsduke Godfather

Mar 20, 2007
    Can this be done, if so how?

With E* it' worked through a regular splitter. I do realize I'll be watching the same channel on each too.

2. clb4g9

clb4g9 Legend

Sep 23, 2007
    The same way as with Dish Network, unless you have one of the newer receivers that does not have a coaxial output, in which case you would have to either get a composite video/audio splitter or an RF Modulator to convert the composite signal to coaxial, and then use a splitter at that point.

You can split just about any type of signal, although of course you might see some loss in the quality. I ran an H20 with component video outs to a component splitter to both my HDTV and HD front projection system. Like you said, you do have to watch the same channel, but it can work quite well.

3. DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie Icon

Nov 3, 2007
    With the newer receivers (H2X and HR2X) all outputs are active simultaneously. So, there really isn't any need to "split" one of the outputs. You can just have one TV hooked up via HDMI and the other via Component (for HD) or you can use the composite out for SD.

4. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    I know this isn't really in regards to the original question, but I thought I would just clarify it in case anyone reads this and gets the wrong idea. The E* dual-tuner DVR's have the capability to feed the signal from both tuners simultaneously. That means that one DVR can send two different channels to two different TV's. D*'s DVR's cannot do this. While they have dual tuners and multiple outputs, all outputs show the same thing from either the live tuenr or the selected saved recording.

5. Thaedron

Thaedron Hall Of Fame

Jun 29, 2007
    I have one DVR that I feed composite outputs into an RF modulator (actually an old VCR that I had that wasn't being used for anything) and then split that to run to a few rooms of the house. It's not HD, but for SD, it's pretty decent and we mostly use it for watching kids shows or other non-HD content.

See the link in my signature for more info.