1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling like a Freeloader

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - HR21 Discussion (private)' started by islesfan, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 22
    islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    For a year now, I have dutifully reported bugs in the HR20, and now with the HR21, I want to do the same. However, there has been almost nothing to report. Of course there is still the overriding CIR issue, but that is starting to make progress, so I'm not complaining. As for issues with the HR21, I really haven't had any. I think I had one BSOD, and I swapped out the SATA cable, but other than that, nothing. No missed recordings, no BSB, no unwatchables, nothing. Media share ALWAYS works there, even when it won't work on the HR20!

I'm feeling like a freeloader. Got the HR21 to find bugs, and there aren't any! :D

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 22
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    islesfan,

Hey, I think you've been a very productive member the past year. There certainly have been times when I thought you might jump on the POS bandwagon and move on to something else. I'm glad to hear that things are working out so well.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 22
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Consider yourself lucky. :)

Even with the bugs I've experienced with the HR21, my satisfaction level is quite high. It's not yet on par with the HR20, but my overall experience has been positive.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 22
    LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    I would agree with that - part of my overall satisfaction is of course the fact that I'm actively engaged in helping to make the box better, and that collectively, we have already helped it improve tremendously in about two months.

Heck, I know what the HR20 has become and the HR21 is on its way to being just as usable and reliable - when it is, sign me up for another one! :)

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 22
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I was felling that way too after they replaced mine.. but then we got this last run of CEs and *).. still testing to see if I can find a specific cause...

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 22
    bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I had my share of problems (grey screen, loss of recordings) initially, but it has come a long way since the updates have been coming. I imagine some issues will continue to show up, but it is hopefully over the hump.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 22
    mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I have been feeling that way too. My HR20 has been rock solid and I have not had any problems to report on that for a coupld of weeks now. I have only had minor issues with the HR21. But, it is getting up there with the HR20. Keep the updates coming. I love doing this!

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 22
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006

I second that!

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 22
    houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Just out of curiosity:
    What is the room temp around your 21?
    the more I check into mine the more it seems heat related.. mine was near perfect during a cool spell but the last week the temp here has been up again and mine sits in a bedroom that runs paticularly warm (door shut all day to keep dog out)

10. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    I've been thankful to be part of the CE process on the HR21, even though I have cussed at it from time to time.

With the newer speed-up of releases, I'm hopeful that the HR21 will catch up to the HR20 soon enough. In the mean time - its test...test...test - that's what we do in CE.

Along the way, we get to enjoy as well. :D

My HR21 is in a climate controlled rack-mounted equipment room at 69 degrees, with low humidty.

11. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Mine sits in my home office on the corner of the desk by the door with the TV sitting on top, but the room can run warm during the day. Since Aug, I've had my home thermostat set for 80 while I'm gone and through the heat of the day the room can get warmer than that (Aug through mid Sept was quite hot here in NOLA this year). I really haven't seen any difference in performance based on room temp and the HR21's fan seems to cycle normally when unit temps hit 120.

12. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Aside from the inability (is that the word?) to get the latest upgrades without a force, we've really had no issues here. Don't know about you guys (because I haven't received the latest code) but once the code upgrade issues are fixed, I think we're good.

13. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I had to laugh when I started reading this thread, because even though I've posted several issues about the HR21, I don't post with the frequency of others so I was also one who felt like a freeloader.

I really think the bottom line is we shouldn't worry about how often we post, but we should just do our best to post significant findings or events as we come across them...

14. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    I don't post as often as many other either, but that is because I have had few significant issues. I don't try to break the box either.

I look at is as maybe there is something in my setup, and remember we were all chosen based on our setups, that keeps me from having as many problems. And based on the notion that no news is good news, I hope D* is albe to gleen valuable information from that fact my setup has few problems.

Why don't I have as many issues, I don't know, but it goes back to my original HR20. Even pre-Santa I wasn't having any major issues.

15. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Well, YOU may be good but unfortunately it's not universal yet. Even setting aside the inability to get pushed updates, there are several still having trouble with networking matters and gray screens. Don't know if or how any of these is related, but I will note that when I have ANY of these problems, the box will not accept a reboot command absent pushing the lovely little red button. So . . . not quite ready for prime time yet for those of us anyway. But certainly much better than it was two months ago. :)

16. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Okay, I'll buy that. :D

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Besides...I prefer the word panhandler to Freeloader... :lol:

18. tfederov

Nov 18, 2005
    Not me. I don't even know where the pans are in my kitchen. :grin:

Now if it's BB&B stuff you're looking for.... ;)

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Oh no...we're headed down that road again.... :eek2: :lol:

20. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Islesfan, the key is you are using the system. Some of us will use the system and have problems; some will use the system and not have problems. By all of us using the systems we are testing and DIRECTV is getting feedback. :)

Cheers,
    Tom