1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Fellow installers: How much do you get paid?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by underpaidinstaller, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. underpaidinstaller

underpaidinstaller Cool Member

Dec 24, 2006
    I am a subcontractor who is a subcontractor for directech who is the main subcontractor for directv.....this is my pay schedule:

installations:
    1 box new/former install includes: one 18 or 18x20 dish, ird std or ird DVR
    $35

each additional receiver $15 more
    have your own truck: $15 extra for each job
    used a 40 foot ladder: $40
    5lnb/36" dish: $10 more each

upgrades:
    additional ird std/dvr $25
    each additional ird: $10

upgrade to 18x20 (3lnb) or 36"dish: $35
    5 lnb dish + 1 ird-hd upgrade $40
    relocate 1 ird or dish: $25

service calls: $20 no matter what you do or how long you take

i dont pay for:
    my truck, repairs, supplies (fittings, wire, etc)

i pay for:
    tolls, gas

benefits: anything extra charged goes to my pocket
    examples:
    $75 pole mount
    $20 old dish removal
    wall fishing $60 each line

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Chat Room Moderator

Nov 29, 2005
    hhhmm...Interesting. Not very big numbers.
    The one that sticks out for me is the 20.00 for a service call.

EDIT: I guess that's why you guys are always in a hurry.

3. Teronzhul

Teronzhul Godfather

Sep 20, 2006
    The pay just isn't worth the trouble involved in the installation business, which is why I quit installing entirely.

4. underpaidinstaller

underpaidinstaller Cool Member

Dec 24, 2006
    there are guys from my company who make on avg $1600 a week....
    then again...they dont exactly do jobs "properly" eg: not grounded...jumped multiswitches....no rubbers....no silicone...no tar strips....wires not tucked...plus most tech who work here also know how to do home theater...hang plasmas = $300 easy for an hours work or less

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    We get paid similar at our HSP. $45 for an install and $20 for service call.

I will roll out tomorrow on my own for the first time so I am not a 100% sure about all some of the other charges.

We are allowed to get our own white cable [ the company only provides us with black ] and get payed for it personally.

I use a company truck so I don't pay anything for that. All is provided for.

These rates apply after 90 days probationary period. It's a bit less prior to that.

And yeah the $20 for a service call is a double edged sword. Some take 10 mins [ customer messed with the IRD] some take 2 hours [ figuring out what part of the system is dead, ie. cable, switch, dish, ... ]

6. kenglish

kenglish Icon

Oct 2, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    The Cable industry figures a "truck roll" (service call) costs them about $150 each.

7. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    So that's $20 for the cable guy and $130 for the union :lol:

8. Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot Godfather

Jul 16, 2006
    No offense meant, but this is typical pay for most unskilled contract labor. Working as a loader behind a garbage truck pays about the same. You could make more than you are right now by doing lawn & landscaping work.

My advice is go back to school and learn a trade. Example, a skilled trade such as the heating & airconditioning business or become an electrician. Forget welding, welders are a dime a dozen and don't make much unless they're certified and becoming certified takes years. Maybe go to truck driving school and get a job driving an 18-wheeler. 1st year out of trucking school you'll make more than you are right now. If you have any special ability for auto mechanics, GO TO MECHANICs SCHOOL (ASE) and get trained. These guys make decent dough.

If by chance you didn't complete high school, do that first. The ARMY won't even take you without a high school diploma (or GED). Get your G.E.D. then get into a trade school. (most local junior colleges offer a G.E.D. program).

Good luck!

9. Mark20

Mark20 Godfather

Dec 24, 2006
    I don't know if its currently true but not too long ago the Army didn't want you if you didn't have at least a regular high school diploma. No G.E.D.s.

10. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004
    I know for a fact, that i make more doing this job...than doing what i went to school for....

I have a AAS in computer networking....and i install directv and make more than anyone else that graduated with me

11. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    All I know is that we can clear a lot of money with custom installs and extras like custom wiring and work on the side.

It might not be the best but I love it.

12. urnote96

urnote96 Legend

Jun 22, 2004
    I tell you what, i do no custom work and i am paid......very well...

13. TreeFarm

TreeFarm Mentor

Dec 4, 2006
    Not too long ago, grunts weren't being blown up or shot at on a daily basis.

14. swedishcancerboi

swedishcancerboi AllStar

Sep 23, 2006
    "HSP INSTALLER for Premier Communications"

Ha.....Ha ha hahah ahahahahhahaha.......

Come on now, You of all people should know how much this job USE to pay vs. what it IS paying now, Since April's little 'non-responder' BS

Was your regional manager nearly beaten when they announced the 'Bonus Pay Tiers' earlier this year?

On a personal note, did you ever get any extra checks from Premier for the Gas Bonuses D* gave out????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.