1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female Installers/Techs?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by fluffybear, Apr 19, 2012.

1. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    My daughter is doing a mini-society project for 3rd grade and one of the questions I noticed on her paper was about if there are jobs out there which only men or women can do? We all know the answer in reality is NO (politically correct) but then came the thought, Are there any female installer or outside techs for DirecTV's?

In nearly 18 years with DireTV, I have never had one come knocking on my door. I have seen them from the phone company (especially when I lived in S. California) but can not ever recall of hearing of any installing DirecTV.

So my question is, Have you ever had a female installer/tech for DirecTV come to your house or business or do you know of one?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I've never had one at our house, but wasn't there one on Under Cover Boss?

3. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    never watched the show, I'll go check Hulu for the episode..

4. Bill C

Bill C Mentor

Aug 22, 2006
    Yes there are female technicians in the DIRECTV world, in fact the ones that I have
    known have been outstanding technicians, and often go on to be service technicians, or
    QA technicians, or above. Installation technician is a demanding job, and not for everyone, be they male or female. DIRECTV is deffinately an equal opportunity
    employer.

5. revolg

revolg AllStar

Apr 7, 2012
    Yes we currently have 4 or 5 women working out of our office.

6. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    They are kind of like the armed forces Marines division -----> The few, the proud, the underpaid.....:grin:

7. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Actually, in employment law there is a concept called a BFOQ, or Bona Fide Occupational Qualification, what it does is provide a defense against a person alleging discrimination when it is necessary that a person of a certain sex or age be in a said position, for instance the use of women only in advertisements for women's clothing, or vice versa for men, or women only waitresses at Hooters, etc... It is very rare, but there are occurrences. I don't know if your little girl would want to answer that question, with "Only women can be waitresses at Hooters" or "Only women can be playboy bunnies" though :)

8. fluffybear

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I thought Hooters lost a lawsuit a few years back for not hiring male food servers.
    As for the playboy bunny argument, I'm sure it is only a matter of time before some ultra liberals court requires Hef to feature some guy as centerfold o the month :barf:

9. gpg

gpg Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    A female tech did a dish replacement for our house several years ago. She told me that she had formerly worked for the phone company and had been laid off from that job.

10. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    You are correct, a man did sue Hooters for "discrimination". Hooter's used BFOQ as a defense, and the suit actually never went to court, the company settled with the man who sued the Corpus Christi, TX franchise for an "undisclosed" amount. Basically, he got what he wanted, money for doing nothing. I agree with you about the playboy bunny thing, I am surprised there really hasn't been a suit as litiguous as folks are these days.

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Don't tell me I cannot advertize Tampax.:eek2: :D

12. bobvick1983

bobvick1983 Godfather

Mar 21, 2007
    NW Alabama
    LOL!:rolling:

13. MrShowtime

MrShowtime Legend

Apr 8, 2009
    We had three in our office before, now we are 100% male. One was around for like 3 years, the other two were < 6 months.

As long as you can carry the ladder and don't mind crawlspaces and attics, join the party

14. Old_School

Old_School Legend

Nov 28, 2011
    PA
    I had a female installer fix what a 3rd party male installer hacked in installing my service back in 2007 thought movers connection. Also had a female tech a few weeks ago to fix the dish that the tech in December forgot to ground:nono:

15. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Only if you have used Tampax lately!!! :lol:

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Umm, would be it count an attempt to help using it ? :D

17. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Wasn't there a female installer when D* was featured on Undercover Boss?

18. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The Bunny Ranch only hires females.

19. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    I remember seeing her.

20. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You can say that again ...
    Never mind, trh, stew just said it again. :D

Even for security, maintenance workers and non-performing roles?