1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Few Dumb Questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by tmacatl, Feb 2, 2010.

1. tmacatl

tmacatl New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    So I originally tried to get DirecTV but they came out and said that I could not because of a tree in my back yard. Does anyone know how different the angles are for the dishes? Also here were some questions I posted about DirecTV but now have them about Dish - any help would be much appreciated!

1) My house is prewired for cable with a splitter in the garage feeding one coax per a room. My comcast HD DVR only requires 1 cable to use 2 tuners. I've heard that the Sat HD DVR boxes require 2 cables to use 2 tuners, is this correct?

2) Is there a wireless solution for getting On Demand content through my wireless network? The modem is located in my neighbor's basement and we split the cost every month. The DirecTV salesman said there is something that plugs into electrical socket; does Dish have something similar?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

2. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    Check www.dishpointer.com for pointing angles. Dish generally points about 10-12 degrees more to the west than DirecTV.

1. Dish uses 1 cable for both satellite-in feeds and TV2 Out backfeeds.

2. Dish allows a HomePlug 1.0 adapter through the electrical wiring from your router.

3. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    There are no 'dumb' questions, but there are dumb answers. You will find many of them here.

Be flexible on where you are willing to locate your mount. When I moved into my new house, I had to locate the dishes on a pole about 50'-60' from the house in order to get clear LOS to 61.5 and 110/119. A simple slit trench was dug to bury the cable for the run to the corner of my house.

Good luck finding LOS.

4. tmacatl

tmacatl New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    thanks for the help!

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You currently have two shots at LOS for your area. Atlanta channels are available on both the Eastern and Western Arcs.

Eastern Arc = 61.5W, 72.7W and 77W (known as DISH 1000.4 on dishpointer.com)

Western Arc = 110W, 119W and 110W (known as DISH 1000.2 on dishpointer.com)

6. tmacatl

tmacatl New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    looks like the 1000.4 would be fine, the 1000.2 points straight into the trees that gave me problems with DirecTV

7. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Keep in mind the 1000.4 (Eastern Arc) is all MPEG4. Currently only HD receivers are MPEG4 even though there are SD channels encoded in MPEG4 on the Eastern Arc.

You can use an HD receiver on a SD set (that's my current situation). You may even be able to get the HD enabling fee lifted if you only want SD (since your LOS tot he western arc is blocked).

8. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    There is no HD Enabling fee anymore, at least for a year.

9. fryguy503

fryguy503 Legend

Sep 3, 2009
    Atlanta is considered EA market so by default they will want to setup you up with the 1k4 dish using 77/72/61.5 - Which means the only rcvrs you can get are 211(k), 222(k), 612, 622, 722(k) aka the VIP series