1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Few Hopper Questions

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by dherndon, Dec 20, 2013.

1. dherndon

dherndon Mentor

Mar 31, 2008
    My DirecTV HR20 is on it's last leg......my kids have another one upstairs. So finally I have a reasons to shop around. Really this time..... really. Considering Dish/Hopper.

With the Hopper/Joey combination, I understand the hopper is a "server".

Is there a way to isolate all the junk my kids watch (they have 50 subscriptions to every kid TV show.....) so I don't have to see those downstairs on the Hopper itself? Or do I have to wade through all their junk they view upstairs on a Joey, while i'm using the Hopper?

Also, I know the HD in the Hopper is much bigger than the 200meg or so I have in my old HR20. (2 of them) Can you set a quota on how many recordings the kids can make from the Joey upstairs? How much of the HD they can consume? Or can they consume all the disk on the Hopper leaving me downstairs deleting stuff to make room? ;-) I really don't want to share......

I can only assume the Hopper is fairly snappy performance wise. The HR20 has never been "snappy", of course, it's dying now and is dog slow......even though the HD test came out OK, it has to be that.....it's 5-6 years old. Amazed it lasted that long.

Thanks,

Dave.

2. TheGrove

TheGrove AllStar

Jan 9, 2007
    You can isolate recordings by creating folders and then have the recordings placed into those folders. This will allow you to separate yours and theirs.

I'm not aware of a quota but what you can do is setup your recordings to be protected automatically so the hopper won't delete them when it needs room. Then as either you or they record stuff if room is needed the hopper will delete their stuff to make room.

I find the performance of the hopper pretty good. It almost never takes more than a couple seconds for the system to do what I ask.

1 person likes this.
  3. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Hopper has 2TB HD with 1.2TB for the user.

4. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    The Hopper does allow where you can tell it not to save any more than 20 eps of Sponge Bob or whatever.