1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FF and Rewind Feature = horrible

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by netPOSER, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. netPOSER

netPOSER Cool Member

Jan 4, 2006
    What's the deal with this?

On TiVo you have the 'snap back' feature and on my old Dish DVR I had 30-second skip.

This R15 is the worst. After 3 weeks with this unit I'm still unable to FF or Rewind to where I want to be.

I've noticed a tip about hitting the pause button but even that is a pain.
    If anyone has any tips please post here.

2. cabanaboy1977

cabanaboy1977 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    You can try using the jump back button instead of play, or pause (but sometimes it jumps to the end even thought your hitting jump back). Also don't FF or Rewind over x2 or theres no telling where it will stop.

3. netPOSER

netPOSER Cool Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, it's all messed up. I'm assuming they will fix this in a future update?

4. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    That's the hope, I know they have lots to fix. Not sure if they'll fix everything in this update thought. But they are working on it.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Just remember that the snap back feature as it is on a Tivo based box will never be implemented because its patented by Tivo, noone else can use it without paying Tivo's going rate for the royalties....

6. donnaml98

donnaml98 New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    I use the replay button. Sometimes after using the replay button, I notice I may not have pushed in time, so I just hit the button maybe once or twice more. Works great.

7. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    Like someone above said anything faster than 2x FF and it can lead to problems. I rarely have any problems with 2xFF and the replay button to stop. I only use the 3-4xFF when I dont care where it stops and just want to FF.

8. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    I'm pretty sure my UTV did this. I'd hit play it would go back a little bit before where i hit play. Never had problem like i do with the R15.

9. DesignDawg

DesignDawg Legend

Jan 7, 2006
    It most certainly did. As does every DVD player I own. All this "TiVo owns the patent to the world, no one can breathe in it without paying them licensing fees" is such BS. Sure, TiVo has some huge, broad patents, but they have stopped no one to date.

Ricky

10. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    That's what i thought. I've just hear people claim this before too and wasn't sure what there talking about. The only issue I ever had with the UTV was FF and Rewind getting stuck. I loved that it did the autocorrect, I very rarely had to use the skip back button.

11. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    But... what it boils down to is this:

1) They have the patten (and for this one, AutoCorrection), and that patten covers about 6 different ways to account for it.

2) Other people need to investigate if they can figure out another way, and if not...

3) Have their lawyers basically give them a risk assesment on the probability of TiVo winning a case, if TiVo decides to go that route..

It is not as simple as... Well TiVo has never sued anyone yet and one... So we are good to go to violate their Pattens....

This particular one, IMHO, is borderline as too "whom" first created auto-correction. Things like WishList and Suggestions, a little more TiVo specific.

Any ideas on what could happen by going ahead and using a patent technology... just take a quick look at what is happening to Blackberry right now...

12. DesignDawg

DesignDawg Legend

Jan 7, 2006
    I'm fully aware of all the legal implications and sticky ways of dealing with sticky subjects. But the FACT is that there are several different products with auto-correct. And there will be many more. TiVo lovers love to point to EVERY feature and say no one has ever had it, and no one ever will, because TiVo has a patent on it. It's BS.

Ricky

13. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    You (Earl) say this as though their only choices were to do without the feature or to implement it and hope for the best. I'm sure TiVo would entertain a reasonable royalty offer.

Hell, since they're so confident people don't want the feature (see also: Pontual, Romulo), maybe they could have made it an option and only paid TiVo for the customers who enable it. That would be pretty much nobody, right, Romulo? ;)

14. cabanaboy1977

Nov 16, 2005
    Earl, I'm confused how did UTV get around this?

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    They probably didn't... they are probably using one of the methods TiVo has a "patent" on... and TiVo just hasn't decided to go after a product that is now defunct.

Either way, it isn't there on the R15... I agree that I would like it to be there (I am not debating that one).

And yes, I saw the USA Today article where that quote was from...
    Not sure if it was taken out of context or what, but needless to say the feature isn't there... and it is a desired one.

16. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I concure that TiVo "could" ofter a royalty offer... But until I get a seat at the table for those negotiations... maybe they "didn't" offer one, or offered one that was so crazy high.

Or maybe DirecTV simply underestimated the importance of that feature.

I am not trying to defend DirecTVs decision to not have it... not my job.
    I am just trying to throw out a "plausable" reason on why it isn't there...

Same reason why "Suggestions" aren't there....

17. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    I agree that there are dozens if not hundreds of products that have auto-correct features... It just get's narrowed down to when you are talking about DVRs...

Hence why you read some of TiVo's patents you have to laugh. Like TiVo was the first to have a status bar on the bottom of the screen. Or Pause ability. We all know that is not true.

Nor could they patten something like "Schedule a Recording"... that is too "broad".

Take a look at the patten for the auto correct. Now... I have exhausted my brain into it, but.. while reading it... I kept saying... Well why not this way... nope, it was in the paten... well why not this way... nope, it was in there.

18. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    I doubt there will be any changes to FF or the addition of a 30 sec skip in DTV's plans. Keep in mind that DTV's future plans are to "enhance the Live TV experience". Why would they need to adjust the FF function or add a 30 second skip function to their DVRs? :D

19. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    I for one dont care about the auto correcting feature and in fact dont like it on my DirecTiVo. I always stop where I want and it backs up making me have to FF all over again, no thanks. With the R-15, I stop it where I want and FF or RW myself if I dont like where its at.

We are all frustrated with the R-15 for one reason or another but the R-15 has certain features and functions a certain way. If you dont like what it offers then return it, sell it on Ebay, stop using it OR use it as it is and accept it works a certain way and has the features it has.

20. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Or...wait for the updates from DTV that will fix many of these problems. Just another option, right Bobman?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.