1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Finally cut the cable

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by bytored, Aug 25, 2013.

1. bytored

bytored New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Hello. Long time since I've been here... I finally did it, cut the cable/ Satellite.

Now I am going to do some research on OTA for Local news and such that I cant get through Amazon prime, HULU, and netflix, Crackle. ect.

2. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    Good luck and let us know how it work out.

3. TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    So You cut the pay TV cable. You still have some form of Internet. Cable, DSL, Wireless, Fiber?

To me the proper title would be I cut a cable or I cut the pay TV cable. OTA runs through a cable too.

4. bytored

bytored New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    LOL. Figure of speech. :goodjob:
    Ok. Since you have seen the fly poop in the pepper I will clarify, and I suppose most everything runs through a cable. :righton: at some point.

I cut DTV. Yes I do still have internet, Charter. I use a PS3 to stream, HULU, AMAZON and NETFLIX and have also since bought an indoor antenna for the local channels. I am in the process of setting up my old TIVO Series 2(Lifetime service) to DVR the OTA locals. And yes, it all runs through cable. :bang

5. RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Are you sure it is a series 2? ATSC tuners didn't start until series 3.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Series 2 TiVo can record component output from digital tuner in SD, but it has a NTSC analog tuner - actually 2 of them, no ATSC.

7. bytored

bytored New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Yes its a series 2 single tuner( 540xxxxxx). Anyhow I bought an old apex dt250 converter and got everything all hooked up and the tivo was "still searching for antenna signal", called tivo tech support a few times and they determined something was wrong with the TIvo unit as I had everything set up correctly. I ended up buying a series 3 Tivo HD unit with a lifetime sub which should be here today.

I have to tell you I am not missing Directv one bit. But the biggest surprise is my wife is not missing it either and that is whats important, "happy wife happy life" they say. LOL. The $$$ saving per month from dropping Directv will pay for what I spent on this adventure in 3 months.