1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finally got around to dithering dish

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by David MacLeod, Oct 18, 2008.

1. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    recently had to move dish and only had time to do a 10 minute eyeball rough aim. most stuff in 90 but 103c was 78 to 85.
    so today I spent a few minutes dithering it, tilt and azimuth were actually dead on, got lucky there I guess.
    elevation was off 2 hash marks on the fine tuning markings, took 10 minutes and 103c and 99c are now all 93+.

2. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Very nice. With a bit of "loving care" the Ka sats can have very good signals.

Somehow my dish must have settled into place or something because they were all low 90s and that was the best I could get, and now a few months later they are 95+. I am not complaining though :p

3. thespaceghost

thespaceghost Legend

May 23, 2008
    Is this your own dish and did you use a meter? Dithering is a fine tuning method using a meter.

Personally I never found dithering useful, even though DTV swears by it. It seems in the last two weeks, signal levels have been all over the board. I updated my meter and reloaded all the software on my birdog about the same time i started using SWM. I have found that a combination of different receivers, different LNB's, dishes, downloads and using the SWM all give different readings. As long as they are in the 90's, i leave it at that.

4. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    my own dish, no meter. dithered using receiver as meter as outlined in the gc-au9s manual page 13 using 101 odd transponder.
    I don't have a meter so I have to fine tune manually, using the manual dither described there actually makes it easier.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I sometimes use dithering to get close, but I usually just fine tune it in by hand and looking at the signal meters on my receiver (I use a portable DVD player with LONG RCA cables so I can have it right on the roof with me).