1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

finally got my direct installed today

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jefte1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. jefte1

jefte1 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2010
    South Carolina
    Well, had my genie hr 34 installed this morning.have to say, WOW!!! So far so good.once I finish setting up favourites and such I will post more. But so far I definitely enjoying it. I had dish for a few years and I can say I should have switched sooner.the picture is to me ten times better than dish.I have read a lot of people on here complaining about the guides and other stuff, but to me all is good,already have set stuff up to record with no problems. Will post more tomorrow after I play around a little..thanks to everyone on here that answered all my questions about direct.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Glad you like it. Don't forget that it can take 24 hours for the guide data and apps to populate. Enjoy.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Good the hear;

Glad you're enjoying the unit and hope the good news keeps up. :)

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Another happy HR34 customer..... :righton:

5. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    Glad to hear your enjoying the Genie. I want one, haven't gotten one yet. :grin:

6. jefte1

jefte1 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2010
    South Carolina
    Yes , definitely happy. Had to do some fine tuning on my pic color on my vizio but now is perfect.only thing I see that sort of bugs me is that I have to occasionally change my screen mode to zoom so I don't have to look at the bars on some hd shows on HBO , don't remember having to do that on my hopper, but that is a minor thing.other than that everything is working God. Guide is moving fast no slow responses. I just set my favourites list . That's one thing out of the way. Will play around more later. Time to eat! :righton:

7. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    :eek2: If you have an HD TV you shouldn't see bars on any HBO content as far as I know. You might want to check your display preferences.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah what bars? And actually if they are small I the top and bottom then that's because the movie was hot with a wider aspect. If keep the bars it will give you a better picture actually.

9. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    I couldn't stand to watch something like that though. Then again, I always bought full screen DVD's and not widescreen at any and every opportunity for the same reason :grin:

10. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    Could you clarify a little bit what type of format your are seeing on HBO?

I will post some examples of each below:

Letterboxing: Black bars at bottom and top of screen.
    [​IMG]

Pillarboxing: Black bars at left and right of screen.
    [​IMG]

Windowboxing: Black bars on top, bottom, left, and right of image.
    [​IMG]

11. jefte1

jefte1 Cool Member

Feb 10, 2010
    South Carolina
    thanks coolman, it was probably just letter boxing, was just the show I was watching. stayed up late playing around on it.Everything is running good.recorded some shows and played back a couple with no problems. Loving the picture quality.

12. dvdguru

dvdguru New Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Back in the good old days HBO showed films in their original aspect ratio which meant some films would have black bars at the top and bottom (or on the sides for 4:3 material). Then they surveyed a few people and changed to cropping everything to fill the screen :( I wish they'd reconsider that instead of "dumbing down" their channel for the uninformed....
    You probably saw an older film from their library as there are still quite a few of the older ones that are shown in OAR from those days.

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Agree 100%.. bummer... They should go back to OAR

14. HinterXGames

HinterXGames Godfather

Dec 20, 2012
    Some of us don't like widescreen formats, and no need to insult those who don't and prefer a stretch/full screen format. Having a different taste than you isn't dumb, simply different thank you

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    There's a consideration that hasn't been mentioned, and that's that you get higher resolution when using OAR. Many TVs will let you then stretch it if that's your preference.