1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FINALLY! got the hr20 networked, now what?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by phinfan, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 7, 2007 #1 of 16
    phinfan

phinfan Cool Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Ok, after weeks of trying to network - hardwired- I finally found the problem, a kink in the cable. The minute I hooked it up, it read ok. So, now what? I cannot find how or where to look for music and photos? am I missing something? Thanks! E

2. Jul 7, 2007 #2 of 16
    Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    What media player are you trying to use?

3. Jul 7, 2007 #3 of 16
    phinfan

phinfan Cool Member

Dec 14, 2006
    WMP11 Thanks!

4. Jul 7, 2007 #4 of 16
    Sander

Sander Godfather

Jun 3, 2007
    If you are one of the lucky ones, go to your Windows PC and open up Media Player 11. Click on Library and then sharing. You should see your HR10 listed there. If not, you may need to install other media sharing software like Twonkey ($) or TVersity (free). Setting up Twonkey or TVersity can be tricky, but if you follow the docs carefully, you should be OK.

5. Jul 7, 2007 #5 of 16
    Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    As Sander said above the HR20 (not HR10) will show up as a unknown device under the sharing option in WMP11. You have to click on it and allow it. Then you should get a music & photos option when you go into the HR20 menu.

6. Jul 7, 2007 #6 of 16
    phinfan

phinfan Cool Member

Dec 14, 2006
    You guys are the best! I got it! WOOHOO! BRING ON VOD!!! Thanks so much for your help!! I just need to play around and figure how to see more of the title of the songs.. Thanks again!:grin:

7. Jul 7, 2007 #7 of 16
    Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    What software do you have? If you have the national release software (0x168) it has not got the GUI update for the media yet. So on the next national release update you will get the new full screen GUI and you will be able to see the song titles without them being cut off.

8. Jul 7, 2007 #8 of 16
    phinfan

phinfan Cool Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Yes, I am currently only on the national release, have not participated in the CE's yet! I watch to see what happens, just not curageous enough yet. Thanks again!

9. Jul 8, 2007 #9 of 16
    Nofences

Nofences Legend

Jan 12, 2007
    Honestly, while there is risk involved with CE downloads you are covered by a few things. First it is a leased box, should something go horribly wrong (and that is a big if...), D* will ship you a replacement. If you dont like the software or it simply isnt working for you, just wait until the CE window has closed force another download and you are back to the NR. Also, Earl normally posts the risk factor involved with each CE, only once have I ever seen it above Modest. I don't think I have ever seen anyone post a catastrophic failure of their machine due to a CE,

Just my perspective I guess.

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Nofences,

I would think the biggest risk is the loss of all your data (programs) on the HD from a CE release not actual damage to the machine. Certainly, bricking a box during an update is possible though.

11. love that tv

love that tv Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    i have a wireless g game adapter, if i swap it out and hardwire my HR20, is the speed difference significant? its alot of work to hardwire, but it can be done if its worth it.

12. Michael D'Angelo

Oct 20, 2006
    I have two HR20's wired and one wireless. With the media share I have not noticed any difference at all. I am not sure if there will be any difference with VOD or not. I don't think there will be.

13. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    You probably wouldn't notice any difference on services like VoD because the speed of your wireless G connection would most likely be several times faster than your internet connection's maximum speed. This, of course, would depend on you getting solid wireless reception without a lot of communications errors.

Internally you might see a speed difference when viewing pictures, but it would hardly be noticeable or worth the effort. A faster Hard drive on the "host" computer would probably make more of a difference if this is really an issue.

14. love that tv

love that tv Legend

Jul 8, 2006
    thanks alot you guys, i was really going to go through all the effort, but sounds pointless. maybe when VOD comes out, bmoreraven can give a report on wireless vs. hardwire.

thank you

15. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    The time it will become noticeable is if/when the HR20 will ever be able to share recordings between other HR20's or when the HR20 is capable of playing video from your PC.

I use a G wireless currently for the HR20.

16. elguapo79

elguapo79 AllStar

Sep 28, 2006
    Sorry to post and not add anything constructive to this thread, but I just wanted to say that love that tv's avatar is fantastic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.