1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally switching to HD......Questions......

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by bguppies, Jul 20, 2010.

1. bguppies

bguppies Cool Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Have had DirecTV since 2000....

Have 3 DirecTivos and 1 regular DirecTV receiver...

Have had Sunday Ticket for 10 seasons now...

We have a 3 lnb Oval dish...

I want to switch one DirecTivo to a DirecTV HD DVR.

Questions.......

1) Will we have to get a new Dish for HD ?
    (where is the HD in the sky? 101, 119, etc?)

2) Will we still be able to use our old SD boxes ans DirecTivos on our SD sets in the bedrooms? (we just have 3 HD TVs in the living room for football season)

3) Which DirecTV HD DVRs have the capabality to add a external hard drive for added recording space?

4) Which HD DVR model (s) would I need to get, to later be able to switch to multi-room viewing later, after we replace the bedroom TVs with HD TVs?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions or any other input or ideas you might have for my set up..........

Bill

2. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Yes for 99 and 103 Sats

Maybe, you will need a SWIM8 with Legacy support which if I recall is 3 legacy boxes.
    But without knowing the number of boxes and total tuners, could be a SWIM16.

All HR2x's support ext drive. Latest model is HR24.

Any HR2x supports Multi Room Viewing

3. bguppies

bguppies Cool Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks for the quick reply...

4. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    I would suggest requesting the Whole Home DVR with Internet Connection Kit (aka WHD with ICK) upgrade. You will most likely get the legacy boxes swapped for SWiM compatibility and still have the advantage of new HD equipment.

If interested, the MRV fee is a $3/month but the upgrade may compare better than HD upgrade.

5. bguppies

bguppies Cool Member

Jul 11, 2005
    I've been searching, trying to find a thread that explains all of the acronyms in here....

I get MRV is multi room viewing

I keep seeing
    DECA
    SWIM
    WHD
    ICK

What do these mean, so I can follow the various set up threads better to try and catch up with 2010 home set ups.

Bill

6. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    From another poster...

Basic definitions follow...for more detail, search the DBSTalk forums.

MRV = (multi-room viewing) This allows multiple boxes to share recordings

DECA = (DIRECTV Ethernet Coaxial Adapter) This is the module used for the Directv-approved method of setting up MRV.

SWIM or SWM = (single wire multiswitch) This allows 2-tuner DVR's to only need 1 cable connection. This is required for the "Whole Home DVR" setup.

LAN = (local area network) This is basically the internet wiring/connections in your house controlled by the router.

Broadband connector = This is how the internet connection is added to the SWM connections with the "Whole Home DVR" setup.

7. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    ICK = Internet Connection Kit

8. bguppies

bguppies Cool Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks for the quick primer...

Now reading the threads will make more sense..

Bill

9. john18

john18 Active Member

Nov 21, 2006
    You're welcome.

If you haven't already read it or figured it out, MRV was a term used for multi-room viewing during the test phase. Whole Home is the term that D* named it once it came out of testing. Some folks have decided to not upgrade from their ethernet solution, so they are using MRV and their setups are unsupported by D* despite them paying the same $3.00 per month.

10. bguppies

bguppies Cool Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Now for perhaps the dumbest question I'm going to ask...

Do the various networks have different channel numbers in their HD version on DirecTV?

Just curious how that works, as we will still have 3 old DirecTivos in the bedrooms, getting the SD signals, but a new HD DVR in the living room getting the HD channels....

Thanks again for all the help..
    Bill

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The channel numbers are the same. There is a menu option to hide the SD (or even HD) equivalents from the guide.

12. bguppies

bguppies Cool Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Thanks Bob...

I would hate to have to learn a whole new set of numbers for HD now.:D