1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Finally updating my Dad's Directv system!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by ejjames, Jun 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    I'm home with the family for a few weeks, so it's time for an upgrade!

Current setup.

HR10-250- tivo in the living room(1 tuner active)

HR20-100 in theater room. We need OTA in the middle of ND. The locals they offer don't include PBS or FOX and the 3 they do carry are from Bismark, 100 miles away.
    All of this is still connected by the old combiner/splitters.

Dad called retention and they gave him a HD DVR to replace the tivo, SWiM upgrade with whole home install, and a wireless internet kit and an AM21 tuner , and a 2 month upgrade to premiere all for no charge. (aside from a 2 year commitment, of course) He never threatened to leave, just simply asking what would be involved in upgrading. They were throwing offers at him without even asking.

I haven't been keeping up on current deals, but I told him he'd be crazy to pass it up! He also has an ipad, so I can't wait to show him the app!

2. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Good deal, take it.

3. BosFan

BosFan Legend

Sep 28, 2009
    Altoona, WI
    I agree good deal, but be careful on the AM21, been seeing a number of posts here they have been unavailable as they switch over to the AM21n

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    When you live in East Jesus, you pretty much have to take what you can get. Only Wyoming has worse OTA availability.

5. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    So do you really want OTA locals from Minot or Fargo/Grand Forks?
    How far do you have to go before you live in the right area to get the locals you want from DirecTV?

6. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    As far as I know they are readily available now. There really isn't any difference between the AM21 and AM21n so he shouldn't care which version he gets.

7. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    In this market, Minot, Bismark, Williston and Dickinson are considered 1 DMA. So they provide only the Bismark feed. Those 4 cities form a square that covers the entire western half of the state.

They never did offer SD locals, and only offered the big 3 in the last few months...which is strange, because ABC & FOX are owned ny the same company here.

So no PBS or FOX at all, but as I said, who wanys tuheir local news and weather from 100 miles away anyway? i get a great signal from antenna, and since OTA is built into the HR20, i just need an AM21 for whichever box they decide to give me.

I get 4 subchannels...heck, even the local CBS affiliate has local news in HD, which is no small feat in this town;. While attending high school here in the late '80s, I worked for the local NBC affiliate. Equipment was not exactly state-of-the-art!