1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Finding an empty spot on building's splitter

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by j_three, Jun 17, 2014.

1. j_three

j_three New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    New York, NY
    So I've recently moved and am just now getting around to thinking about having my Directv moved. They want a few hundred to come and do the install which I'd like to avoid paying since it's not that hard to do. There's literally 20 years worth of dishes up on the roof (There's at least one RCA one still up there) so I wanna reuse one of those. There's a World Direct dish up there with an 8 way splitter attached to it that looks promising. I figure with the way people move in NYC at least one of those spaces on the splitter is now vacant.

My question is how to test which spot is empty. My idea is getting a multimeter and testing each cable for voltage, with a dead one being an open/unused space. Is this a good idea or is there a right/better way to do this? Thanks!

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    First rule: Do not unhook anything that is connected anyplace. You either need your own dish, or you need to be properly connected to a dish that is designed to support more than one customer.

Second rule: Do not connect to anyone elses dish or splitter or multiswitch. It is so very easy to screw something up.

There are two technologies used for residential DirecTV these days. SWM (single wire multiswitch), and legacy multiswitch. They are entirely different. There are different technologies being used in some multi-dwelling units (MDU), and you can actually damage your equipment, or someone elses equipment, by connecting to it incorrectly.

You need to have the install done properly by a trained installer/technician.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    While I agree with this 100%, sadly it does not apply in NYC buildings, trust me I wish this would stop.

NYC is relegated to the subcontractors which are known to use someone else's dish. sad

4. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    This is about the only way, short of actually finding an open spot on a dish/switch

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What DIRECTV services do you subscribe to and what receiver(s) do you have?
    It is important to use the correct terminology in reference to devices used to distribute satellite signals. The World Direct dish must use a "multiswitch" as opposed to a "splitter". Splitters have their place with DIRECTV but it isn't in the sense that you're talking about.

6. j_three

j_three New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    New York, NY
    Yeah, the contractor that did the first install did such a shitty job. No sealant on the hole, no rain loop, the power inserter was stapled to the wall. Looked like 3 apartments shared that one dish.

I have an hr-44 Genie and a GenieGo.

You're right, It's the older multiplexed dish not the newer SWM one. Sorry, Didn't even think about it since I haven't really dealt with installing a dish in years since my old DirecTivo was indestructible. Wish I had brought it with me, I know half those SD dishes aren't being used anymore.

7. j_three

j_three New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the help guys! Looks like I'm stuck paying the fee to Directv for an SWM dish. Is there any way to find an installer contractor myself without having to schedule it through directv? 300 bucks is a lot to pay for someone who's going to do a sloppy job. Or am I better off documenting the sloppy job and complaining for some account credits?

8. Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski Mentor

Nov 17, 2011
    an authorized independant directv dealer is not going to be getting paid from directv for doing this. $300 seems reasonable. We would be charging around that much and possibly more for a new reflector and installation ourselves. let directv send out their subs, and take pictures of their shoddy work.

9. j_three

j_three New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    New York, NY
    K. Thanks again guys!

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I hate working in the city, otherwise I would of gave you a hand