1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fine Tune Slimline

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by TMullenJr, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    I know there have been numerous threads about this, but I thought that I would post my results from yesterday. It was easy, and I was able to make a big difference in the signal strengths.

I set the receiver to show the signal meter on 103b, and only adjusted the azimuth fine tuning control. I turned the fine tune control until I got the highest signal (95 in my case). I found the "edge" of peak and set the dial to 0. I continued adjusting until it started to go back down again. For me, I was able to go 1.5 full turns. I backed it up 3/4 turn (1/2 the 1.5 turns).

See the results in the attachment. I have the before & after readings, plus the difference. Green is improved, red is lower readings. Definitely worth the 10 minutes I was on the roof.

2. jtn

jtn Banned User

Oct 18, 2007
    Thanks for the post, that is good info. It's too bad people have to tweak their own dishes at all, the installer should do it right the first time. As we know with free installs they don't tweak the dish. I had to tweak my own AT-9 after the installer left also.

3. msmith198025

msmith198025 Member of the Year

Jun 28, 2007
    well actually 103b wasnt there when most got these dishes installed. I know they knew where it was going to be but a little hard for the typical installer to hit one blindly i think. Got mine repeaked for that sat right after it went live for free.

thanks to the OP and congrats!

4. MrMark

MrMark New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks for the excellent posting. I am having some of the same exact problems.

What type of in-line satellite finder did you use? I have one I bought off Ebay for $20 or so, and I think it will do the job, but before I go through the hassle . . . .

Thanks again for the detailed info!

5. K4SMX

K4SMX Hall Of Fame

May 19, 2007
    You don't need a meter for this process. You can use your receiver, two cellphones, and a helper, preferably not your wife or GF, unless she has her own tool belt. Normally they don't find this process entertaining, but 10 year old's work well. They'll watch anything on TV. See the tweaking thread, posts # 1, 34, and 44 for full info on doing this yourself.

Welcome to DBSTalk!

6. TMullenJr

TMullenJr Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    I used the HR-20's built in signal meter. I used my slingbox & wireless laptop so I could see the signals right at the dish, but in the past I used my daughter down at the TV.

7. terryfoster

terryfoster Godfather

Nov 14, 2006
    ^ I used the same system. I love my SlingBox. If you've got a laptop you NEED a Slingbox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.