1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

finishing nail through signal cable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by borgec, May 5, 2013.

1. borgec

borgec Cool Member

Jan 21, 2007
    I just got done remodeling my living room. I put down a new floor and molding. The signal cable is behind the molding as it was previously. Now i am getting weird signal issues. The picture pixilates, pauses, sound drops in and out. I have tried 2 different HDMI cables into different inputs with the same results. So I think it is the signal cable.

The only thing I can think happened is I put a finishing nail through the cable. My question is if I find and remove the nail will that solve the problem or will I need to replace the entire run? Or any other ideas why I'm having this issue on the receiver?

Chris

2. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    If you find a finishing nail through your coax and remove it with no further problems, go buy lots of lottery tickets!

Can you tap along the molding with a hammer and see problems? You could get lucky and remove the nail with no further problems but I'd replace the run at some point.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Tough call. If it is a nail penetrating the coax, removing it should have some effect, as the metal of the nail is gone. The damage it did the the coax "may not" be that bad.
    If you have another receiver, you can swap this one with it and check if it's the receiver or location.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Be on the lookout for a section of smashed cable whether or not you find a nail. Smashed cable seems more likely to cause intermittent or partial signal situations.

Is there a power inserter nearby?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You get points for the first part, as the coax doesn't need to be penetrated to have problems, and just being smashed can be a cause, but then you lose points for the second part as the same results come from a nail between parts of the shield and a smashed shield. There is no "more likely" here.

6. Leftcoastdave

Leftcoastdave Legend

Apr 2, 2004
    Looking for a finishing nail related problem could be like looking for a needle in a pile of needles.

Chances are if the problem surfaced after the living room remodel, it is the signal line, but a quick way to verify or disconfirm the cable failure might be to run a duplicate cable from source to destination. If new cable shows no degradation, proceed with repair or replacement of existing cable. If however, the problem shows up on both new and old cable, look elsewhere for your problem.

Good luck.