1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

FIOS has a non-sports package

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Paul Secic, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
  2. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Looks to me like that is a separate NON-sports package. A "sports package" would imply only the sports channels rather than vice versa.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Thread title changed to better reflect the content of the article linked.

4. jscudder

jscudder Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    Dish has AT120+ for $59.99 and AT120 for $49.99. They are the exact same packages with the exception that AT120 does not have your RSN and a few other Sports channels. That is close to a non-sports alternative.

5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Dish was probably the first at least among more than locally small providers to offer a basically non-sports package, though it does have ESPN. It appears to have about as many HD channels as what Fios is advertising, plus it has in my opinion better music channels with Sirius/XM.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Add Welcome Pak and Family(Smart) Pak and DISH was first.

7. MCHuf

MCHuf Legend

Oct 9, 2011
    Although neither of those packages are in HD (except for locals and add-ons).

AT120 looks to be a better package than the one that Fios is offering. And Dish does have better dvr's (if you want one).

8. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    Good point. True only locals in HD but still more choices.

9. inazsully

inazsully Icon

Oct 3, 2006
    Any package that includes ESPN cannot even remotely be considered sports-free. You're talking about a network that is "Sports Only", as in Entertainment and Sports Network.

10. tampa8

Mar 30, 2002
    In the world of Cable/Satellite I can't agree. ESPN has become a channel many turn to for sports news, just like turning to Fox or CNN. I would say Dish having it adds more value than the Fios package if Fios does not have it. I would also say many to most of people I know will watch an occasional baseball game or other sports on ESPN, will watch PTI and Around The Horn, and a sports center show, and X games etc. But they are not interested in the RSN and watching game after game. They will watch playoffs, but those generally are still on free TV, or otherwise non sports channels that are in your package. I think the idea of being a package without sports really is geared towards not having the RSN's, or the many other (niche) sports channels.

11. Wilf

Wilf Legend

Oct 15, 2008
  12. Aransay

Aransay Icon

Jun 19, 2006
    eth shoudl do a discovry/ultrual fre channel for me ahs cap a opnly sport parckage wiuld eb eprfect

13. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

Exactly. If it has ESPN or any similar channel, it's not 'sports free'.

While TBS, WGN, USA and others run sports programming, that is not their primary focus.

14. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    I rather watch sports in those channels than paying an arm and leg for including it in a package

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    So would I.