1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Firefox completely down but other browsers work

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Lord Vader, May 18, 2013.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    This morning when I fired up the PC, for some odd reason Firefox wasn't working. I couldn't access the Internet at all using FF, but Chrome and IE work fine. Did FF recently take an update that screwed something up? I've tried a bunch of "fixes," but nothing has worked at all.

2. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I'm using Firefox right now....appears you've managed to get your computer in trouble again.

1 person likes this.
  3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    21 came out on the 14th.

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'm on Firefox 22 beta 1, and working fine for me.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Just re-install FF.

I'm running FF v21.0

6. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Hmmm. Then I have no idea why FF won't work. I keep getting this message:

7. kc1ih

kc1ih Legend

May 22, 2004
    Salem, NH
    Check your FF preferences, make sure you didn't tell it to use a proxy server.

8. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Everything is the same. I wonder if something could have happened with my Norton Security Suite, despite the fact that I didn't change anything in that either.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    LV, you have the worst luck with computers. :grin:

10. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    Frickin' Jedi tricks!!! :mad2:

1 person likes this.
  11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Doctor Whom Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    With other browsers working on the same computer... my best guesses are a Firefox plug-in problem (try launching Firefox with plugins disabled and see if that makes a difference)... or as you said, if your Norton suddenly started blocking Firefox for some reason.

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.xxxxxxxx.com (where "X" is the website name)"

I assume that's your home page. Try entering a different site in the address bar, if possible. The problem may have been that the particular site was indeed down.

I have four browsers installed - IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. I usually use Firefox but I'm beginning to favor Chrome, as it seems to load faster and display sites a bit quicker than FF.

13. Lord Vader

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    I did try several URLs, none of which worked.

Anyway, I think I narrowed it down to a firewall issue that resulted from a Firefox update. These FF updates have screwed up a lot of things. Adobe Acrobat got messed up because of these updates, and that wasn't the only thing.