1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewall and Networking HR21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by freddie4x4, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freddie4x4

freddie4x4 New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Sorry if this is in the wrong area, but its my first post, so be gentle with me :)

I have recently gotten a new HR21 to replace my defective HR20. I put in the IP address, but it will not connect to the internet. I can ping it from my PC, but the HR21 cannot access the internet. I think its because I have a hardware firewall built into my router. Do I have to open any ports on it for the HR21 to get out? I *could* put it in the DMZ, but defeats the purpose of having a firewall. I have given it a static IP address but still not able to get to the internet. I know I'll need to have this for VOD/DOD, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Fred

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    :welcome_s Welcome to DBSTalk!

Was the HR20 able to connect? You shouldn't be able to ping the HR21, because the DVRs don't respond to pings. Have you set up the netmask, DNS and gateway settings appropriately for your network?

See this thread, which would be a better place to discuss your networking problems.

3. sailermon

sailermon Legend

Oct 17, 2007
    Northern...
    I have a HR21 and I don't believe you can "go to the Internet" at this time. You can have media sharing, but DoD is not available as of yet. If set up says you are connected, you are set up correctly. If it does not connect, check you Mac filtering. you need to add the Mac address of the HR21 if you have filtering turned on in your wireless routing settings.

4. freddie4x4

freddie4x4 New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Thanks -- its hard wired to a ethernet bridge, and thus directly to the Belkin Router. Its probably the DoD stuff -- and I have MAC filtering off. I'll wait a few months when they turn the DoD/VoD on.

Fred

5. freddie4x4

freddie4x4 New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Ok all:

THanks for all the tips. What I did was reboot the stupid box. Yes, thats all it took. Entered a static IP and now it all works. Why this, I have no idea. And not a soft reboot (power button) but pull the power cord kind of reboot. This fixed everything.

6. freddie4x4

freddie4x4 New Member

Dec 30, 2007
    Ya'll I fixed it.. a nice hardware reset (power plug) and I could assign IP address. Works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.