1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First night with 722k DVR, two major beefs.

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by slickshoes, Sep 21, 2009.

1. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Hey guys, first of all, we are in single mode and we set three things last night to record and went to dinner. Came back, my wife watched one of the recorded things in SD, everything was fine. We went to watch the Emmy's in HD, and the sound was skipping about every 10-15 seconds, very annoying, I couldn't figure out why, just was hoping it was CBS's problem. I then reach down when we were about to go to bed and put it in dual mode, the problem cleared up. Is this a bad box?? Should I try a reset?? It did the sound skipping in single mode also when I tried the third show that was recorded in HD.

Secondly, and this is huge. We always used our Time Warner box to just time shift with no issues. Last night, when we started the Emmy's and got kinda bored, we wanted to watch something else. We could not get out of watching this (it was still recording to).

I tried:
    -hitting stop, it wanted to completely stop recording it
    -changing channels, same thing
    -channel change from guide, same thing
    I forgot how I finally was able to exit it with it still recording, but when I went back into the recordings and tried to pick up where it left off, it just gave me the options to view it (live) or start over.

So my question is, while you are recording say a 3 hour show, start watching it maybe a hour into it, decide your bored/go to bed, and just want to stop VIEWING it, save it and watch it another time from where you left off, how the heck do you do that?? Or is this a HUGE oversight by DISH. I'm hoping it's just my inexperience with this system and not the latter. Thanks!

2. Grandude

Grandude RichardParker II

Oct 21, 2004
    Annoying isn't it. That is the way mine works too. My solution is to stop the recording. Then start recording it again. This way you have it in two segments. The first is what you already watched and the second for what you haven't watched yet.

3. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Oh ok gotcha, that makes sense, pretty weird, I can't believe this isn't a feature.

Also, about the sound skipping, I just did another test. It happens when in single mode (didn't double check in dual mode) when you are watching something that is being DVR'd that is still in the recording state. Can someone check to see if their box is experiencing this issue?? Just set a couple recordings of something, then go into the recorded list and click start over to start watching it. Thanks!

edit: I am connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 606.

4. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    No, the solution is to put it back in single mode with shared view (allows you to watch same programming on TV1 and TV2 outputs).

In dual mode each output has access to ONE SAT tuner and ONE OTA tuner, but in single mode both outouts being tied together gives you access to all 4 tuners, so your recording can continue and you can change channels at will.

The audio problems could be a problem with the box, but the inability to change channels was a usage problem.

Did you try rewinding a bit to see if that clears up the audio difficulty?

I have never seen this audio behavior on my 722k hooked via optical to a surround sound. I have heard this has happened with HDMI audio connections.

5. puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo Hall Of Fame

Sep 2, 2007
    If you're in single mode, just hit the swap button on the remote. Will swap you over to the other tuner.

6. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I have had this problem before as well, but only when recording with the OTA tuner. I press swap, and to get to the SAT tuner.

7. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    All you have to do is turn off your TV. The Dish box will continue recording until completion. Tomorrow you will be presented with the option of viewing the recording from the start, but you will not be able to "resume." You can simply fast forward until you see the spot where you stopped viewing.

Contrary to the reply you received, you certainly can change to the other available tuner(s.) The message that you received was because your recording was being buffered so that you could view it in delay and it also it was being recorded simultaneously as an event. Simply fast forward or push the "Live TV" button to bring your delayed show up to real time. You can now change the channel to any available tuner (Sat or OTA.)

8. BarryG

BarryG Legend

Jun 25, 2006
    Try using non-HDMI audio, such as digital optical. 722K HDMI audio is unlistenable on some AVR's (including my Pioneer SC-07).

9. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Alright guys, did some pretty good testing while at lunch today.

-It seems to only happen while hitting record, then going into recorded stuff, and you start watching it (timeshift) in single mode, dual mode its fine.

-Live TV is always fine

-Switched to Optical , configured my Onkyo to use the HDMI for video and optical for audio, same problem.

Called up Dish network and they are sending me a new 722k immediately. We shall see what happens. Did anyone else happen to try this scenario for me and see what results you get?? Thanks!

10. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Can someone please try this scenario for me!? Last night same issue. Even during playback of a completed DVR event. ONLY in single mode. Dual mode, it is fine. Hopefully it is just the box. It can't be the connection or the receiver or anything because it works fine except for DVR playback in single mode.

11. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    I only use my systems in Single mode.
    At the 10am Pacific Time, I started recording Rachel Ray and SportsCenter at the sametime.
    after about 30min's of recording I, went to DVR then my recordings, selected Rachael Ray Start over, and started viewing it. Let it run for 10min's, went back to DVR, My Recordings and selected SportsCenter Start over. Watching SC right now, No audio or playback problems. I am now going back to DVR, My Recordings and selecting a Movie I recorded the other day "Heist", and letting the other 2 continue Recording. Heist is starting and no noticable problems yet. Problem will come as I love the movie Hate the editing, and will start yelling at what in the Hell was the Editor thinking. I made sure fast Forward through the commericals while I was watching.

12. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Thanks a lot Grumpy Bear!!! Gonna have my brother give it a shot too. Hopefully I just got a bum box.

13. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    Sorry, the 722K can't make boring programming to be exciting. :D

14. etzeppy

etzeppy AllStar

Feb 16, 2007
    I was having a similar problem as the OP with HDMI audio but not with optical. It seems that any time 2 or more programs were recording at the same time on my 722K, the audio became choppy. I had this issue while recording two OTA programs last week and again last night while recording twi SAT programs. I do not recall if I have tested specifically with only 1 OTA and 1 SAT. Regardless, the choppy audio was only present on HDMI. When I switched my AVR input to optical, no problem.

15. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Ok, just a little update. I went ahead and ran my HDMI straight to the TV and an optical to my Onkyo 606, all is well now. No audio skips. Now I'm having an issue with the box constantly dropping the broadband connection. I have it running through a Netgeat router in bridge mode, so I ordered a Zyxel homeplug today and I'm gonna give that a shot. Oh yeah, and I could only get a few channels with my OTA indoor antenna, so that is going back too. All kinds of issues so far, but hopefully I'll get everything straightened out soon.

16. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    The Optical audio is from the sat receiver, correct?

17. slickshoes

slickshoes Legend

Sep 20, 2009
    Southern...
    Yes, that's correct...optical from 722k to 606.

18. Mogrub

Mogrub Cool Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I'm having audio drops as well on my new 722k Dish setup. Mine are typically triggered when I am recording using one sat tuner and watching live tv on sat tuner 2. If I pause the live feed for a moment, or rewind it, it often does the audio drop thing every few seconds from there on out. If you record the second show, the drops are present upon playback as well. Resets fix for a short time, but when your replicate these conditions, the problem reoccurs.

Connection is HDMI from the 722k to the Pioneer VSX 918V amplifier.

Box is in single mode.

Recent convert from the HR-20. No similar issues there.

Dish sent a replacement 722k. Same problem.

In addition to the straight HDMI link, I've also got the audio and video feeds from this 722k sent to a VCR via RCA cables, and from the VCR to the Pioneer amp using RCA cables.

I just replicated the conditions necessary to cause the audio fault, and then went over to listen to the programming using the RCA feed, changing nothing else. No audio drops. You can switch back and forth at the Pioneer amp to listen to the HDMI feed (problems) and then the RCA feed (no problems).

Fascinating. Irritating too.

I will now try an optical feed to see if that will carry the audio error free. After all, it would be nice to be able to listen to 5.1 every once in a while.

19. rdavidd

rdavidd Cool Member

Sep 8, 2009
    I've replaced one new and one refurbished 722k within 5 months. First unit frequently had terrible terrible digital breakup when starting to play a recorded program -- if you stopped and started over it cleared up. Second unit (and also first unit) had audio drop out problems on recorded programs (live TV was fine). Audio would be missing for about 1/2 a second every 10 to 30 seconds -- bad enough that you couldn't understand some words and of course terrible for music. If I did a "check switch" and reloaded program guide material (which I'm told also reloads software), then the recorded program would play back just fine, but 2-3 days later the audio drop out problem was right back again. And yes I'm using HDMI feed from the 722k to my AV receiver (and obviously not feeding my TV speakers from my AV recevier).

20. rdavidd

rdavidd Cool Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Just ran a test (I've always been in single mode). I started recording two HD programs and then started playing back a previously recorded HD program and everything was fine, but last night trying to play back that same HD previously recorded HD program while trying to record one new HD program, I had audio drop outs. The difference? This morning I did the "check switch" thing and reloaded the program guide info. BTW, I'm still using the HDMI feed to my AV receiver.