1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Post - HD Programming

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by ShaneHD, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaneHD

ShaneHD AllStar

Aug 14, 2007
    First off, thank you to the people who own DBSTALK.com. This site is fantastic!

I want to start off by saying I am a new customer myself to DirecTV, but my family has always used it. I am a proud owner of a 50" WS LCD HDTV with 1080i. Yea yea, I know, not the best, but hey!

I have a couple of questions regarding DirecTV HD programming. I purchased this package about a month ago and the rep I spoke with informed me (as I had heard through the grapevine) that they would be releasing nearly 120 channels very soon - all in HD. My questions are as follows:

1. What channels/networks are going to be part of this upgrade?

2. As they can't do it all at once, what is the time frame/network channels scheduled to be released?

3. Will I be informed from DirecTV when this is done? Will I need to do anything with my receiver?

4. Will my package price go up at all?

Are we looking at some cool channels coming out, or is this just another gimmick? Regardless, I am happy with the HD channels I have now. The fiance didnt think much of it at first, but after seeing the night and day comparison, she wan'ts all our tv's to be HD! wOOt wOOt FOR ME!

I appreciate all your comments. Thanks in advance!

2. EaglePC

EaglePC Icon

Apr 14, 2007
    There liar's

3. ShaneHD

ShaneHD AllStar

Aug 14, 2007
    I already don't like you....stay out of this thread.

4. VeniceDre

VeniceDre Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk.com

To answer your questions:

1. Check this link for upcoming programming:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=87235

2. We should have approx. 70 HD channels by the end of September, growing to 100 hopefully by the end of the year.

3. I'm sure they'll notify by email and with a huge marketing campaign once the new channels go live. You need a 5 LNB Dish and an H20 receiver or a HR20 HD DVR to receive all the new channels... Make sure also that the BBC converter boxes are connected at the back of the receivers. They look like little small grey boxes.

4. There will be no immediate price increase to the standard 9.99 HD access fee.

Hope this helps.

5. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Here's a link to the sticky thread at the top of this forum with the announced and projected HD channels: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=87235

It's expected that these will start going live in early to mid September, but that's all subject to when the new satellite completes testing and is parked in it's final orbit.

If you are currently set with the 5-lnb dish and receiving the current HD package, you're good to go.

We're not sure how they're going to notify people - maybe send a message to each receiver - and we're not sure of the numbering scheme - but it's likely to be the same as locals where they share the same number and the unit defaults to the HD version when directly entered.

6. MikeR

MikeR Hall Of Fame

Oct 5, 2006
    Here is a good start with the projected list

See above for specific channels.

The first satellite (D10) which gives D*(Directv) the bandwitdth to add additional channels is in the air and about to be parked. Follow this thread for additional info. Most are expecting the initial channels to be launched mid-Sept. A second satellite is tentatively scheduled for Jan 08 which will provide additional bandwidth
    You will need either the H20 or HR20 receiver & 5LNB dish to receive the new HD channels. Also the BBCs (B-Band Converters) will need to be attached and verified to be operational on ch. 499. If you get the message "searching for satellite..", they work properly. Otherwise, D* can send new BBCs to you for free.
    Not planned a this time according to the CEO.
    http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6467951.html

That is for you to decide based on the projected list, but to me it looks like D* is well on the way to providing some excellent programming.

and

Welcome to the Forum!!:hi:

Edit: As you can see, a wealth of knowledge has been posted on here. Here is another good place to start with more resources

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=79834&page=8 (Make sure you stop by the "milominderbinder2" signature)

7. ShaneHD

ShaneHD AllStar

Aug 14, 2007
    Thanks Mike and to the rest of you!

8. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    :welcome_s to the forum.

I just wanted to say you gave me a good laugh tonight!!!

9. cariera

cariera Icon

Oct 27, 2006

I vote to let him back in. C'mon it was only a 2 word post and he got both words wrong.:lol:

They're liars

Is what I think he meant to say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.