1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Run only still have issues?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by paulfife, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulfife

paulfife Cool Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I was reading through the HR20 FAQ today and noticed a note about avoiding using First Run Only since first run episodes are often marked as repeats. Is this still a current problem? Is it a software issue? I just upgraded from a HDVR2 and, last night, added a big chunk of my old Season Passess to the HR20. Of course a lot of them use First Run Only so I may have some editing to do now.

2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    This problem with the guide data still exists, although much less common than it used to be. A second problem is that some series should be recordable by series links but are not. Sometimes that is because the data in the guide is incorrect (I have the same problem with my SD TiVo). There is also a strange problem, also apparently guide related, where some programs do not record, see http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=91585

3. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I have changed all my first run to both until further notice. I would rather delete than miss out.

4. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I agree, if critical. I also think it is a Guide Data problem and not something intrinsic to the HR20 itself. The Guide while powerful and convenient is a source of ongoing problems with the HR20. If the slightest thing is in error...you get zilch.

5. paulfife

paulfife Cool Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I'm noticing the opposite problem on the stuff that's recorded recently. It's recording repeats for stuff that's marked as first run only. The program description even says "repeat" in it too. I guess that's a better problem than missing a recording though!

I guess the TiVo's reliability in this respect must be due to their enhanced guide data? I'm really spoiled by that, so I'm hoping this is a problem that can be eventually resolved.

6. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Understand that part of the problem is that the "text info" provided in the Guide data does not always properly correspond to the "data" in the the stream. The HR20 obeys the "data stream", not the banner or info screen. Hence, the problem...not to mention other possible problems such as data parsing, etc.

Lump it all together and we call it "Guide Data Problems"...it's important to remember that just because a program says "Repeat" or "First Run", that isn't (at this time) an absolute guarantee that the guide stream data that the HR20 actually processes says the same thing.

7. Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm now in the habit of reviewing my Todo list every so often, to see what it's gonna record. So far, so good. It's got only first runs scheduled for my 3 currently active season passes.

8. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I review my To Do List all the time. I don't think there's anything wrong with the First Run Only logic at this point, but until the networks provide more complete guide data to Tribune, you can't fault HR20 for not recording things the way you want.

9. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    +1, and that's what the Yellow Button is for.:)

List > Yellow Button

10. Drewcipher

Drewcipher Cool Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Maybe someone can help with this. When I look at my TO DO and I see a won't record, I have 2 problems. First, when I hit enter on it, at the bottom it still says this episode is scheduled to record...(it isn't recording, that is why I looked at the detail. Second, is there anyway to divine the reason that it is not going to record. I like this view of the TO DO list better than my Tivo, but Tivo told me why something would not be recorded. I can not find that feature on the HR20. Am I missing it? or does it not exist?

11. C6Silver

C6Silver AllStar

Sep 4, 2006
    This is also my issue and it is becoming worse with each passing week. Everything seems to record making the "first run" option nearly a complete waste. Why did this work much better last year? It worked flawlessly under Tivo to be sure, but at first it didn't work poorly with the HR20. I don't understand why it is worsening.

12. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    If I recall correctly, the only programs listed in the todo list as not recording are scheduling conflicts.

13. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    My guess, it is worse because it is summertime and most networks are showing reruns and don't care enough to send the correct guide data to Tribune.

Tivo's also only worked as well as the guide data. Over the years I had many things record/not record because of poor guide data.

14. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Anyone who has an R15 and an HR20... could you comment? Do you have the same "first run" issues on R15s? What about people with DTivos? \

15. paulfife

paulfife Cool Member

Sep 6, 2006
    I had a DirecTivo in the place of my HR20 2 weeks ago so I can say that the TiVo does much better in comparison to the HR20. Since both are using the same guide data, I can only assume this means that TiVo has someone checking the most popular networks/stations for accuracy. I have only had problems with the TiVO in the past with last minute changes or shows on less popular networks.

16. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    OK - just got the HR-20s a couple of days ago, but I have a major Series recording issue.

Here's an example: I set Hell's Kitchen to record the series. I use First Run only. There are two episodes coming on tonight, the first a repeat, the second the first run. I look on the guide, and only the repeat (which says "repeat" in the info) is set to record. Read this thread, went back in and set it to "Both". Look back at the guide and the To Do list, and it STILL has ONLY the repeat set to record. I did hit the update or record with these options when I changed it to both. Then, I notice in the To Do list that next Monday's episodes are not set to record. Again, next Monday August 6 there are two Hell's Kitchens, the first a repeat, the second a first run, but NEITHER are marked to record.

What in the heck is going on? A DVR that can't be counted on to record isn't very useful! I hope that I'm doing something dumb and that's the reason, I'm used to my Tivo being pretty reliable on stuff like this. Help!

17. Nubbinsville

Nubbinsville New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    I've had DirecTivo's now for 6-7 years with little too no problems with "first run only", in fact that is pretty much the only way I set them up. It actually annoys me that I have to change the option to first run. I'm in the process of getting my first non-TiVo based DVR, I guess I'll have to keep an eye on this one!

18. kmanhd

kmanhd New Member

Jul 30, 2007
    I am new to the Directv HD-DVR myself. I got mine installed this past Wednesday (7/25/07) and I was just getting around to setting up the Series Record feature to mimic what I was doing on my older (yet reliable) DirecTivo. I had already set up a couple of series recordings for the kids and was amazed at the simplicity and the speed of it all. However, this morning as I used the Search feature to find a couple more programs, I realized that only the episode I clicked on was getting the Series Record icon. When I viewed other upcoming episodes (the ones without the icon), I noticed that a message stating this episode was set to record was present, but its not in the Scheduler's to-do list and is missing the icon. There are no conflicts at the time slot that would cause it not to record, and I have it set up to record both show types with 5 episodes and to start and end on time. Is this another case of bad guide data, or is there something I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

19. bonscott87

bonscott87 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

Jan 21, 2003
    Guide data is guide data and DTivo's have the same issue.

I don't care what DVR you have. HR20. D'Tivo. Dish ViP. Shows like the Daily Show, various shows on ESPN and so forth will not record properly when set to first run only because Comedy Central and ESPN don't provide good guide data.

Bad guide data will be 95+% of problems with first run recording issues on any DVR.

20. BUDMAC

BUDMAC New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    I just switched over to HR 20 from TIVO. Following the manual I set up each series to record only first run. I have found in three separate series set ups that it picks up reruns as well. Judging by the comments in this thread it seems to be an ongoing problem. This is a major disappointment and hopefully the problem will be corrcted quickly.:nono2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.