1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Run shows - HR34

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Arius1, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Arius1

Arius1 Cool Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Sorry for the newbie question. I noticed we setup all our recordings and it appears some are recording old shows not new ones. Even though it's set to record first run shows.

Any idea why that would be?

2. Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter Hall Of Fame

Feb 20, 2009
    Could be a number of things. Bad data is one, and also could very well just be a current bug that will get fixed soon in the next update for the box.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    The DVRs do tend to record a rerun on each link when first setup. It does settle down.

4. Arius1

Arius1 Cool Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. One more question, I just looked at the recordings for tonight. It shows for shows being recorded but two if them are listed twice as if it'll be two recordings. I'm sure it'll record once but why is it listing it twice?

**Update it appears it did record those two shows twice. One was on Syfy the other on ABC both HD.

5. simiglen

simiglen New Member

Jan 30, 2012
    If you go into your settings you can set all recordings to record first run only. I am not at home right now so I cannot give you step by step.

6. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    He's aware of that.

7. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    The SL algorithm is far from bulletproof, and as it turns out it pays to keep an eye on what it says it will record. It tends to forget some shows, and for me often forgets to get second showings of shows that were not recorded due to conflicts. Sometimes.

I have never been able to get the This Old House Hour SL to work now for a couple of years; I have to go in and "remind" it that new first-run shows are expected to be recorded, every week. But this may be because the national first run is on Thursdays and my local station first airs it on Saturdays, so may be a metadata mixup. But it worked two years ago just fine. Go figure.

But generally speaking, it works pretty good. There are known issues, such as when you go to set an SL on an existing show, where it may get the one you set the show on and end up getting that one twice, or recording the second showing regularly instead of the first showing (if you set the SL on the second showing). I did this with The Firm, and even though it gets the first run ep on Thursdays it still wants to record the repeats on Saturdays as well, although that may be a sloppy metadata tagging issue that flummoxes the SL algorithm.

It also is channel dependent. Real Time with Bill Maher repeats a few times Fridays after the first run on Fridays and then throughout the week, but the algorithm is not smart enough to get the first showing on 501 if you set the first one on 504. IIRC, Tivo was smart enough to figure that out on its own. If they move first-run Fringe to FX from FOX, it won't get it. I think Tivo would have.

There is also an inconsistency in how the metadata is set for some shows regarding "first run" and "repeat". For instance, how do you consider Prison Break on HDNet? Technically, its "first run" was on FOX. They may term it "First Run" and they may term repeats within the week as either "First Run" or "Repeat". From one point of view, they are all "repeats", so there is a semantic confusion out there.

If there is no metadata the recorder will get the ep regardless, erring on the side of caution. Tivo uses the "28-day rule", meaning if a program was in your playlist in the previous 28 days, it will skip recording it, first run or not (unless the metadata is missing or entered incorrectly). I think the HR's do this too, but maybe not as elegantly. The HR seems to have trouble with marathons, for instance; sometimes you can be set for first run and still come home to 18 repeats of Leverage sitting there.

It ain't perfect. As folks say, though, it settles down once you get some history built up (the "28-day rule" can't be fully valid for the first 28 days you own [lease] the box, obviously, and it doesn't know you might have moved the SL from another box to a new box).