1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Run vs. Repeat Logic

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    When I got my first HR20, everything was in first runs. Now everything is in repeats. It seems like the episode I use to establish the Series Link (the first one it finds) is getting recorded even though the series link clearly says "first runs" and this is a repeat.

I seem to remember that it takes the HR20 a while to do enough housekeeping to determine first runs vs. repeats, but I don't remember how long.

If an RBR is the best way to get the logic working right I'm inclined to wait since I'm scared that an RBR will brick my new HR20 (probably just superstition but still).

Can anyone weigh in on this and straighten me out?

Thanks --

2. petergaryr

petergaryr Passed away April 24, 2010

Nov 22, 2006
    I'm hoping someone will have an explanation for you. My HR20 doesn't seem to like Star Trek Enterprise. When I set the series link for 1st runs, it cancels everything for some reason. If I select first run and repeats, it records everything.

I've tried deleting and reestablshing the series link a few times. It just doesn't like that show for some reason. OTOH, it has no problems with BSG or Dr. Who as series links. Weird.

3. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    FYI: Enterprise is all repeats, there are no first runs. It used to run on UPN before going to UHD and elsewhere.

4. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    enterprise is all reruns.. last episode several years ago..

5. BillPear

BillPear Legend

Mar 7, 2006
    I can maybe help with the RBR, if you have had your unit long enough for it to receive an automatic software update, it has already gone through a reset and
    I wouldn't worry about it.

6. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Another way to get housekeeping started sooner is to turn the HR20 off (really standby). Then it knows you aren't watching so can start its review earlier.

Good luck,
    Tom

7. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Good advice. it's on standby now... we'll see if it figures it out.

8. petergaryr

Nov 22, 2006
    I know, I used to watch it in glorious SD. What I mean is, for the HDNET broadcasts, wouldn't it be considered "first run" since they have just started showing the first season in HD?

9. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    No! First run means First run, not a first on a different channel or a first run in a different format cause these are really reruns. It means first run

10. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    Please take the Wish List Survey again and put a high priority on:

Provide accurate repeat/first run INFO so the right shows can be recorded

The information is so bad now that the only way is to set to record Both instead of Reruns or First Runs.

Another problem is that as you point out the reruns can be on different channels.

The HR20 is supposed to be able to Autorecord on all channels after a Title Search but that is broken too:

Allow Autorecord after a Search by Title as described in the manual on pp. 20 & 31

But wait you say, you could still Autorecord a Keyword Search! Sorry! Because Channels I Receive is broken, Search and Autorecord are broken.

Here are those Wishlist items:

"Display only the channels that are in your current subscription package" p. 33

Apply Current/Favorite Channels as a filter to Search for “just what you want to watch” p. 31

If only the HR20 would do what the manual says it will do...

We got OTA and MP3's. Still not a bad Christmas.

- Craig

11. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Will do, Craig. FYI I've put these items highest priority before, and launched my own "Channels I Receive" thread on two forums (this and General D*)

12. Milominderbinder2

Oct 8, 2006
    I will follow you over there as well. We need as much attention on this as we can get.

- Craig

13. petergaryr

Nov 22, 2006
    If that is true, then the logic needs to be revised.

To me "first run" means first run an a particular channel. The first time Battlestar Galactica runs in HD on Universal HD is a "first run" in my mind, despite the fact that the original premier was a crappy SD broadcast on the Sci Fi channel.:D

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    To me a first run means it has never appeared anywhere. You can argue that BSG on UHD is first run because it's never run anywhere in that format before, I could see that, but I would argue that first run is a self-explanatory term, the first time it has ever run.

15. Milominderbinder2

Oct 8, 2006
    TV Guide and everyone else labels it a rerun once it has been shown on any channel.

Networks play games with word to say things like: First time on Network TV! That way they can claim first rights even if it has played on HBO for a year. Networks do that and put first run in their description streams.

- Craig

16. petergaryr

Nov 22, 2006
    Well, there still needs to a logic change then, otherwise the DVR will record EVERY repeat of the same episode broadcast within the same week. That is absurd and requires a lot of deleting of duplicate episodes.:eek2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.