1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First the HR20 Debacle .. Now This ..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by NFLnut, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006
    It seems that not only is D* screwing the pooch with THIS boat anchor, but now SD-DTiVos are having major problems with DirecTV-supplied Guide data! A lot of people are missing shows, including myself. This has been going on since mid-December. So if you were thinking of going back to your trusty old DTiVo, think again! Just go over to TCF and read the threads going back to mid-December regarding Guide data and missing Season Passes (I'd post a link but wasn't certain that was allowed).

I've been a BIG supporter of D* since I fired the cable idiots back in 1994. Now .. I may be going back! This is insanity. D* needs to get back to their core business or they will lose a LOT of customers! They are pouring WAY too many resources in developing their own highly-dysfunctional DVR. Just look at the status of the R15 and know that they will NOT ever get this box right either!

2. btmoore

btmoore Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
  3. NFLnut

NFLnut Icon

Sep 28, 2006

Maybe you should learn to read! This forum would be a GREAT place to start!

As to the debacle, I should enlarge it to include DirecTV as a whole! What is really disconcerting is that with all of the problems with THIS box, at least those of us who still have our trusty old SD-DTiVos could at least count on THEM to still record shows that THIS one misses or screws up with a black screen or some other anomaly. Now only to find out tonight that both mine and my wife's DTiVos have missed numerous recordings over the last few days, and the ToDo List for the next two weeks are empty. After venturing over to TCF to see if anyone else is having the same problem, I find that not only are there at least two threads at least 5 pages long (each) but the problem has been going on since at least 12/18, and with the way that the D* dunderheads are creating more problems with THIS bos with every software release, I don't think that the fix is within sight!

So .. if your little HR20 has "been doing just fine," then I'm happy for you. However, there are over 70,000 posts just in THIS forum that would disagree with your report. So I would suggest that you turn off your computer and go watch that perfectly functioning debacle-of-a-DVR that you have in your living room! The rest of us will be here to poke a stick in the eye of DirecTV until (IF) they can get their act together, now on NUMEROUS fronts!

4. ouijal

ouijal Legend

Aug 21, 2006
    btmoore 1
    glennb 0

5. TomF

TomF Icon

Sep 20, 2006
    I'm going to give glennb the benefit of the doubt and assume that his post was just sarcasm ;)

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Take it down to the TiVo Forums...
    Not here.

And the "guide" data is supplied via TMS, and formated to TiVo guide standards. So before you get up on the high hourse ready to swak away at DirecTV.

Expalin why the similar problem is effecting SA TiVo, including the T3 ?

As of right now... DirecTV has requested TiVo to investigate what is going on, as they don't have the source code, nor debuggers to investigate it themselves.

And as to why there are so many "complaints" on the DTiVo side... There are a significant amount more DTivo users then SA-TiVo users.

7. wmschultz

wmschultz DBSTalk Club Member DBSTalk Club

Jul 18, 2006
    ^^^^
    What he said.

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The other "big picture" issue is that this is not unique to D*TV either.

I've followed a local thread in my area on the Comcrap cable HDMI issues with both their HD receiver and DVR boxes that is over 1000 posts long complaining about lockups, lost channels, pixelation problems, reboots, and the like. Sound familiar?

We are not alone.

Bottom line - new technology is not for the faint hearted of people with false hopes that everything will work perfectly out of the box.

9. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Not very sure, if it is in the same argument...
    As the DTivos have been pretty "stable" for a while...

Something obviously "changed", but what... and was it just a "thing" waiting to happen, that is now causing the TiVo based software to flip out...

One thing you need to remember, with a difference between an SA TiVo and an DTiVo with reference to guide data.

The SA TiVo pulls down a very small subset of the big picture. If anyone remembers, with the SA you had to EXACTLY state what service you where using. So the SA only processes... your's and only your's.

Where as on the DTivo... it gets the "ENTIRE" guide data stream.
    That include all 170ish (don't remember exactly how many), DMA's worth of locals. All the internations... All the premiums... Every channel that is the ENTIRE DirecTV system... goes to your DTivo... and then your DTivo has to filter it out.

Anyone that does programming, understands all it takes is 1 bad piece of code in a data load, to fubar the whole thing.... Especially when you are working with a scalled down, isolated model.

Hence why DirecTV has to look to TiVo for a solution, or to at least find the issue. Around the start of the year... a lot of networks "changed" things up a bit.

10. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    ...which should serve as a reminder to anyone who is using a DTivo as a backup for their HR20 to check the to do list and check the indexing every couple of days.

11. Xaa

Xaa Icon

Nov 17, 2005
    This debacle has been wonderful for me. The HR20 is getting everything without problem now. The last DVR to miss any shows in my house was the HR10 whcih is now sold. My backup DTiVo could be missing some, but I honestly never check it any longer.

It is a shame that DTV partnered with a company that is barly solvent and can't act to make quick software changes. This problem has been known for a while, and TiVo has known about it yet they have been unable to come up with a fix to provide to their largest customer.

The HR20 may have problems, but DTV at least has the resources to address them.

If your DirecTiVo isn't working, cry to your beloved Tivo. if DTV made a mistake in this, it was with the partner they picked.

12. I.M. Nobody

I.M. Nobody AllStar

Aug 25, 2006
    The future is here the machines are taking over. Now my D* can repair its self whenever it wants to. If it dosen't like what i do it will reboot on its own.

13. Rambler

Rambler Icon

Nov 9, 2006
    This may not even have anything to do with the issue, but my local Yahoo web based TV guides are no longer giving program information on the majority of DirecTV show lineups. And these shows are TiVo compatible where you can schedule them to be recorded. Maybe there is something related?

14. spunkyvision

spunkyvision Godfather

Oct 12, 2006
    may not be related either but last 2 weeks I have had to reprogram my "30 second skip" 3-4 times on my DTivos

15. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    That means your system has been rebooting.

16. macEarl

macEarl Godfather

Jan 1, 2007
    Excuse me, but if we're done talking about Tivo, I'm still very concerned about the HR20 hardware.

I have two. One of the HDMI connectors is aok. The other takes at least 10 minutes of jiggling to get a signal to work and that's with a cheap cable. I tried a Monster in the second unit, and I can't get that to work at all. So, now I'm off in search of the HDMI pigtail to solve this problem. (And gee, won't that work great in addition to an expensive cable!)

Some users are doing OK and not seeing defects while others see other defects. Among those that do see the defects, they are not all reported the same or at the same rate.

How is this NOT indicative of a hardware manufacturing quality-control problem?

No firmware update is going to fix my HDMI connector. Either I return the unit and get something refurbished - my foot!! - or I live with it and hope I'm not screwed, blued and tattooed when the firmware stabilizes.

Take 4 computers. Three of them run software just fine. The fourth one doesn't run the software that the other three do. The computers all came from the same vendor and are purported to be identical hardware - as is the software. Would you run out and replace the software and expect that that would fix the fourth machine?

I hope that everything here - with the exception of no one being able to take time to QA the connectors on a consumer appliance - is all due to race conditions, buffer overflows and the like. Then D* will be able to fix it.

But if the HDMI connector wasn't checked out during manufacturing, what else wasn't?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.