1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Thoughts on DoD

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ozonedan, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozonedan

ozonedan Legend

Dec 27, 2005
    I've been a Directv subscriber for about ten years. Just had the Slimline, HR21-700 and hi-def installed two weeks ago. (It was a great install.)

Sunday, I went to BB and purchased the Sling Link Turbo for $79.00. Came home and stalled in about 10 minutes. I turned to channel 1000 and it appeared to be connected. I checked the network setup and all was fine. I went on-line into my account and sure enough, it was activated. There was no phone call involved. After the Guide populated I downloaded a couple of shows to test it out. Everything went smoothly.

There are a couple of things I'm disappointed in. And maybe they will be addressed later on. One is that there was no DoD for SciFi. And the other was no DoD for any of the main networks. No ABC,CBS,NBC or Fox. Shows can be viewed on-line but I was hoping they would be included in DoD.

2. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Many of us are waiting and hoping for the same things. Did you at least try downloading a DoD program and watch it to make sure it works? It is worth the excercise IMHO.

3. ozonedan

ozonedan Legend

Dec 27, 2005
    Yes, as my post says, I actually downloaded three programs and everything works just fine.:)

4. sailermon

sailermon Legend

Oct 17, 2007
    Northern...
    I don't see the real value of DoD at this time. There is very little difference in content than that offered from the standard Guide. Besides, everything is in SD and takes a significant time to download over wireless connection to standard DSL service.

If, in the future, they offer free quality HD programming of unique content not otherwise available, then it may be of value. Until then, it is a nice feature to have, but I have little interest in using it.

5. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    So much for my attempt at "evelyn woodhead sped head speed reading course"... Though your post did not actually say 3 :D

6. uteotw

uteotw Legend

Sep 30, 2006
    Everything is in SD? Definite "no thanks" for me then...

7. jahgreen

jahgreen Godfather

Dec 15, 2006
    No, there are a few HD offerings. But at the speed of my DSL connection, it would be a 10 to 15 hour download at least.

8. yngdiego

yngdiego Mentor

Jul 27, 2007
    So are DoD demand the SAME PQ as regular live broadcast? Or do they do extra compression to minimize the download size?

9. ticmxman

ticmxman Legend

Aug 27, 2007

You have my concerns covered in this post. What is the point of DoD? Is there any difference in content? Is there a list somewhere that I can see what shows/movies are available on DoD?

10. lordbah

lordbah Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    dod/dod.html says this is available at no extra charge, yet when I follow their instructions to add "HD DVR Network Installation Kit", they want to charge me $35. Sounds like an extra charge to me. It's for equipment that I don't think I need since I already had a network cable. So I wonder, is there a way to turn on the functionality without ordering equipment? Then I find the link to Current Setup, and it tells me that I already have DIRECTV On Demand. Okay.

Then I search a little more and see people saying that it doesn't (in most cases) work yet with HR21.

Where's that wild goose?

11. jschramm

jschramm Cool Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I actually think the SD DOD looks better then the SD stuff you get off the satellites.

12. NOYB111

NOYB111 Mentor

Feb 18, 2008
    I believe the kits are for people who need them to network the DVR. I thought I needed it at first as well, but read more about it. I simply plugged a network cable into the back of the DVR and plugged it into my router and it was all set with nothing more for me to do. You do need to give it time to DL all the menus and programs. They wont all be there at first but the next morning I had a ton to look at. Oh yeah, you might have to reboot the DVR after hook up. I dont recall if I did or not.

13. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Since D* says this is still a beta feature we're all hoping that once they officially launch it that the content available will be very close to what cable companies offer. That's the point of this whole thing is so D* can say we have VoD also when cable pushes it.

14. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    My fear is that it is just a token offering to do exactly what you just describe. Basically to say, yeah, we have it too.

I have a tough time believing they are taking this seriously when they are releasing the R16 with no networking capability.

15. jwd45244

jwd45244 Hall Of Fame

Aug 18, 2006
    The probability of DoD for the network majors (NBC, CBS, ABC, etc.) is nill. Why? Well, each of the networks has launched their own Shows on Demand via the internet.

SciFi on Demand, probably will be there sooner vs. later.

16. jschramm

jschramm Cool Member

Sep 12, 2007
    In general Directv doesnt do token offerings, they usually give a better product then cable in every way. Saying that I totally agree with your second comment, I was very surprised not to see a network connection on the R16, for both DOD and MRV.

17. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    "Cable" varies widely from one location to another so a blanket statement that D* gives a better product in every way may be true in one area of the country, but not so true in other parts. Cable in my area is quite competitive in terms of price and channels that I would actually watch.

My experience with DOD so far (yeah I know it is still in beta) is that it is subpar to the VOD offered by cable in my town in both content and interface. I'm still not sure how to reconcile no networking on D*'s latest SD DVR with D* being serious about DOD.

Hopefully, I am wrong and it improves in the upcoming months.

18. BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt

Nov 3, 2006
    Comcast VOD offers CBS but that is the only network CC offers and it is just a few shows; the three CSIs, Numbers, NCIS and maybe one or two more that I don't recall. But that's it.

19. EXTREMUM

EXTREMUM Legend

Jan 18, 2008
    Personally, I'm not thrilled with D* On-Demand. Aside from the lack of HD programming available, I'm not satisfied with the fact, that you have to "download" a program, in order to watch it.

With cable VOD, accessing the program is instantaneous.

20. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    There is no other way to do it.

In my experience (I have a 10meg down connection), programs start about as fast as they do with my local cable provider. My local provider also limits FFW to 2x. My connection with D* allows me to almost do that after a couple of minutes of the program downloading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.