1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flaky RF on HR24s

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by TheJackal, Oct 11, 2011.

1. TheJackal

TheJackal Mentor

Sep 24, 2008
    RF mode on my HR24s seem very sensitive/touchy. I do not have the same problem with my HR22 but the same issue occurs on both my HR24s. It seems that a normal button press will likely get you two presses/commands on the receiver. If I try to do short quick presses on the remote you can wind up woth 0/1/2 presses on the receiver. It is extremely frustrating while surfing the guide our trying to do searches (or going through setup, I was adding 1080p as a resolution and they damn flaky remote screwed it up and now it shows up as "TV does not support this resloution" even though it really does). Anyone else experience this or have any advice to offer? Again, my HR22 does not demonstrate this crappy behavior with RF. It is much more reliable.

2. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    I'm surprised nobody else answered so I will give it a try although I am no expert. Whenever I have any problems with the romtes, the first thing I do is throw in some new batteries.
    other things to try:
    1. see if the same behavior happens in IR mode with the same remote.
    2. match your HR24 remote with you HR22 and Visa Versa. See if the problem follows the remote or the DVR.

if it stays with the DVR, I suggest a reset.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Maybe this is simply the difference in performance between the two, as the 24 is so much faster than the 22.
    I use RF and have had HR20s [still do], HR21 [retired] and HR24 and I have to adjust my timing on the remote for each.

4. TheJackal

TheJackal Mentor

Sep 24, 2008
    I was surprised as well. I figured I was the only one experiencing it which didn't make any sense since it is happening on both my HR24's but not my HR22.

1) It does not happen in IR mode. The IR behavior on the HR24's is what I would expect.
    2) I've done this about 50 times. With every remote in the house (RC64R, RC65R, RC65RX) and every receiver.:) I'm sick of holding mute/select, 961, CHAN UP/DOWN, etc. Any remote in RF works fine on the 22. Any remote in RF has issues on both 24s (but work fine in IR).

My equipment is insde a cabinet so I the only alternative I've come up with is to use an IR repeater instead of RF.

Thanks for the response but I don't think that is what it is. The IR performance on the 24's is what I expect. It only acts up in RF more. If it was just the performance of the box then I would expect my 'timing' to be off in both IR and RF.

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    It was just a thought.
    I was a bit surprised a couple of weeks ago while at a friend's who had a new HR24-200. I changed it to RF and the next day he said it was flaky, so I played with it and sure enough sometimes it simply didn't respond, and changing it back to IR had it work fine.

6. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    :lol: I know what you mean.
    I assume you changed batteries too, right? RF arguably can take a little more power?

I too, spend a ton of time, making things neat, messing it all up for troubleshooting and putting it back together. :)

7. solinar

solinar New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Chiming in here to say I have had the same experience.

HR-24 has the same response when in RF mode. Missed key presses, double key presses, lag. Very frustrating.

I have tried the following:
    swapping remotes
    new batteries
    Double red button reset
    nvram reset
    double red button reset, followed by nvram reset, followed by another double red button reset, followed by another nvram reset

After doing the above, it performs better for a few hours, then reverts back to bad behavior.

If I put it in IR mode the problems go away.

I am thinking of having the DVR replaced.

8. SnoBear

SnoBear New Member

Aug 1, 2007
    I reported this as "studdering" back last December. Changed back to IR and all is well. Haven't tried RF with the new software updates and it appears the problem still exists.

Brad

9. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Have had exactly the same problems with my HR-24. Works briefly better with brand new batteries but back to constant double-clicks and missed clicks and whatever shortly after. I can hit the PAUSE button 5 times and nothing happens, then it pauses for an instant, then jumps back forward again. It's a nightmare. For me IR is not an option as I need control from another room sometimes for a remote TV, and the main unit is in a cab below eye level.

Fully up to date with updates. No help. Is there a chance the new HD GUI will fix this???

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Update: the HR-24 works fine with my iPad remote so this is an RF issue plain and simple. Perhaps some form of interference or something. I have a ton of 2.4 devices in the vicinity, and one or two 5.8, but nothing close to the RF frequencies.

11. sonofcool

sonofcool Legend

Dec 23, 2007
    Good point about RF interference. Any of the nearby devices can cause RF troubles even far from the bands they are supposed to be on. I've also seen a bad coax cable put out a lot of RF noise. It was actually bad enough that it was detestable outside the house by the cable company.

12. dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    I am SO glad to have run across this thread, as I have a client that has two HR24-500's & 3 other pre-HR24 HD DVR's, all on RF remotes. (I have all 5 set-up with agile RF modulator backfeeds, all combined on a different channel for each one throughout the house on their secondary TV's)

The HR24 they have in their living room is having these nasty remote fits just as described above. I was just out there this week & it IS really bad - it doesn't matter if you are in the living room or not, which RF remote you use, etc.
    However, the HR24 they have in the master bedroom (as well as all the rest of their HR DVR's) work fine. Again, the SAME remotes that work bad on the living room HR24 work fine on the other HR24.

The living room DVR is stacked in a cabinet with several other A/V components, with a 55" HDTV sitting right on the top of this same cabinet. BUT, the master bedroom DVR is sitting on the floor hidden under a tall dresser, on which their 46" HDTV sits on the top of it. I'm thinking that perhaps in the living room, having the DVR in such close proximity to all those electronics, might be causing an issue with the RF remote on this DVR. (FWIW, before they got the HR24, they did have one of the older HR DVR's in the same cabinet, & did NOT have these RF remote issues)

Another issue they have out there - they live less than 2 miles from a 50k FM transmitter! But again, since the bedroom DVR is fine, & the previous HR DVR did NOT have these issues - the only thing I come back to again, is that the RF receivers in these DVR's is somehow picking up "garbage" on their inputs, & somehow it's messing up the RF remote signals. The living room DVR IS right next to an outside wall that faces the FM tower - while the master bedroom DVR is farther back on the other side of the house, so perhaps that is helping to "shield" it from the FM tower.

I'm going out there soon & we are going to try moving the DVR out of the cabinet & see if that might solve the issue. Obviously with the RF backfeeds, we do NOT want to have to go back to an IR remote there...

13. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I think that's the ticket. I've got a 2.4 phone base, a 2.4 router, a 2.4 vid sender, a 2.4 weather station transmitter and a 2.4 wireless headphone sender all in the same location. It's simply scrambling the RF causing spurious signal artifacts.

14. solinar

solinar New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Its funny I have a very similar setup with the same problems. Bedroom HR-24 under a tall dresser, TV on top no problems with RF. Living room, HR-24 stacked with other components, flaky RF (to the point of unusability).

Only thing about interference is, I went from no problems to flaky RF overnight, with no hardware changes in my house.

15. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I suspect its just plain RF interference. Some of the plasma and LCD TV's are really bad noise generators. I'm surprised some pass FCC Part 15.

IR is a good alternative to RF noise. IR repeaters work great, just doesn't go through walls. When I went to a programmable remote, I went back to IR from RF with IR blasters and have been very pleased.

16. TheJackal

TheJackal Mentor

Sep 24, 2008
    Wow, I did not realize this thread created such a discussion. I haven't checked this thread in a few weeks. The thing that shoots holes in the 'interference' theory is that my HR22 in any location in the house does NOT have any of these issues but the HR24s in those same locations DO experience the bad behavior.

Right now there is only 1 location operating on RF.

2 are controlled via Control4 system. The Control4 controller outputs IR to the receivers. (Basement/Theater)
    1 is controlled via a URC Home Theater master remote/base station that outputs IR to the receiver. (Family Room)
    1 is controled via IR (Kitchen)
    Right now the Guest Bedroom is disconnected but I can use IR there.

That leaves the Master Bedroom and I need RF here. So for now, I have the HR22 in the Master Bedroom and all works fine. I hope by the time I upgrade this box, the issues are worked out.

17. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    I'm forced to using my iPad remote for football game watching now. Works well but not nearly as user-friendly as little buttons you can push on the remote by feel.

18. jmr21

jmr21 Mentor

May 30, 2007
    Ditto. My situation EXACTLY.

19. subeluvr

subeluvr Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I had one HR24-100 and an HR24-500 installed late May 2011. Both HRs came with RC65RX remotes. The HR24-100 works perfect with either remote in both IR and RF.

The HR24-500 has been flaky with its remote in either IR or RF. Stuttering, double taps, sticky commands, all the remote anomalies you can imagine and that have been complained about.

The HR24-500 has the same problems with either RC65RX remote in either IR or RF. There is nothing in my home interfering with the RF. No trick key sequence resolved the problem and I tried them all. Read and read and read everything I could find on this and other forums looking for an answer buy found none.

After repeated calls to DTV TS and not resolving the problem I was ready to demand a replacement for my HR24-500 and then I had an idea...

I drug out an old RC34 RF remote and waddayaknow... the HR24-500 worked perfectly in both IR and RF. I beat on the RC34 and HR24-500 trying to get it to goof up but no, it just worked... perfectly.

So, being out of more RF remotes to try so I could prove the solution, I ordered a new RC65RBX back-lit RF remote from the DTV web site to prove my theory that it was a combination of the RC65RX remote of that production run and the HR24-500 causing the problem. A couple days later it arrived and it works perfect with both the HR24s in both IR and RF... and continues to do so 5 months later.

I sat down to think about it and here's what I decided... both my HR24s had production dates close to one another so I assume the RC65RX remotes came of the production line around the same time. I think the problem is either a production anomaly in the remotes along with something in the HR24-500 is creating the problem. It seems to be the two in concert that screws up.

I'm not concerned with the why as I am with the how of resolving the problem and I have done that. Problem solved.

Those of you having remote problems with HR24s either IR or RF ought to buy an RC65RBX for $30 and see if it resolves the stuttering and double-taps. It did for me.

20. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Bought the backlit RC65RBX specifically to cure the HR24-500 RF problem: Nada. Zilch. Just as bad, no help at all. Double hits, no hits, zoom past target, no response at all, pure garbage.