1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flat Cables Approved Again

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by RobertE, Aug 21, 2008.

1. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Good News for appartment dwellers.

I don't know who makes the cable or where you can find it, but it's good news at least. :)

2. Birdman79

Birdman79 Legend

Apr 7, 2007
    We've always been using flat cables though.At my HSP at least...

3. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    The installer that upgraded my sister's dish to the 5 LNB used that flat cable to go through the sliding glass door, and this door is the old metal frame type, it started to work through that flat cable, then the metal door was acting as contact across the cable.......wasn't good for their signal!!

4. Birdman79

Birdman79 Legend

Apr 7, 2007
    Flat cables work fine as long they're not damaged.

5. Matt9876

Matt9876 Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2007
    Always had them on the truck only use about four a year for RVs where a line must pass through the window.

:)

6. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  7. avmaster

avmaster Legend

May 29, 2008
    flat cables suck. I just drill a hole. I am not going to go back to a customers apartment once a month to replace them.

8. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    I figured it was because all flat cable wasn't rated for KaKu use. Nah some texas no it all called it an installer urban legend about flat cable.

9. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    That is where I am.

I charge (ed) $12.00 each to get their attention. I showed other ways to do it and insisted on a note on the landlord permission slip they never had but I always did.

The four that failed I replaced at no charge by putting them under the door mat when in the area.

IF a good one were available at 18" or better I would use it. After you use up the 12" there is not enough extra for any movement. Kick the fitting and good by connection.

DISH doesn't (didn't) do apartments for this and the grounding reason.

Joe

10. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The memo also briefly mentions damage caused by the other cables.

11. houskamp

houskamp New Member

Sep 14, 2006
    if you run a #10 ground with it it will help protect the the flat cable :grin:
    of course the door won't close either :p

12. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I am the "know it all" and I repeat that flat cable works fine for KaKu, so long as it is specified for 2.15 Ghz which most flat cables are. You would not use RG59 for a sat install and you would not use a flat cable that is only rated to 1 Ghz for an install either. The story has been going around installers that flat cable won't work for KaKu and it is absolutely untrue.

13. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007

Working and being tested/rated for KaKu use while to being approved are 2 different things. 59 cable works but it's not approved.

14. Grydlok

Grydlok Icon

Mar 31, 2007
    yeah it's was 2 different types. One was rated to 2.3ghz and the ends where not flimsy. I'll read my blast facts today.

15. Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon Hall Of Fame

Aug 17, 2006
    I always keep spares and use them when I need them. Never had an issue as long as you arent slamming them in something 4 times a day.

16. opfreak

opfreak Legend

May 8, 2008
    woot, maybe I can get my apartment install now!

17. avmaster

avmaster Legend

May 29, 2008

I actually do a ton of DISH installs at apartments.

They do not require a ground, they understand that 9 times out of ten its not possible to ground at an apartment.

I drill holes through walls, I tell tenants if the landord says anything they can repair the hole simply by filling it with some silicone/stucco patch.

Haven't had one problem yet.

18. NXStang

NXStang New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    I always used flat cables. I left a few extras and never had a problem. Drilling through an apartment is asking for trouble from the landlords, no matter what "management" tells you. Damage claims galore. But thats just my .02 cents

On flat cables, word from DirecTV themselves was flat cables were banned for use. I think the biggest thing was to eliminate the white-centered ones (RG59) and use only the blue centered ones (RG6).

When KaKu's started going in years ago we were told flat cables wouldnt work with the Ka signal. Of course, they do.

And the only reason RG59 works on the HD is simple. 59 is rated to roughly 1400-1500mhz. Our signal on the Ku bandwidth is 950-1450mhz. The Ka band was supposed to go down the 1650-2150 mhz bandwidth, making RG59 useless. However, too many houses were pre-wired in RG59 and that would be a big problem. Hence the B-band convertors......which convert the 250-750mhz range the Ka signal DOES come down to the A-band 1650-2150mhz.

not a hard concept

19. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    +1

20. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    Thanks,

I haven't kept up. I went through a rash of DTV installs that had been turned down by DISH. Years earlier I spoke to DISH about an employee position and at that time they said they didn't do apartments. With most of this you never know who "they" are.

DTV still does a don't ask don't tell about the ground thing and the phone issue for apartments.

When I started doing this stuff I thought I would never have customers on a cable system or in an apartment.

Who knew?

Joe