1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Flying with UPS

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by kevinturcotte, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1 of 33
    kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I'm moving. Flying out on Sunday. I'd like to take my UPS with me instead of shipping it, if possible. I'd have it in my checked luggage. Is this fine/safe? Of course, all the UPS companies are closed during the weekend. Delta is too, and I have a feeling if I asked them about flying with a UPS, they wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. So if a TSA agent finds a 25 pound electronic in my checked luggage, is there going to be an issue?

2. Mar 2, 2013 #2 of 33
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    My inclination would be to ship it UPS. But I guess if you want it there with you....

3. Mar 2, 2013 #3 of 33
    kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    I kinda wanna use it immediately. However, I don't want another situation like when I flew in January when they made me throw away 3 bottles of unopened/sealed water lol "Yeah, just throw away your $200 UPS" lol

4. Mar 2, 2013 #4 of 33
    David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!! DBSTalk Club

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    At the very least, the battery would need to be disconnected. If you try to fly with it, you should be prepared to leave the battery behind.

5. Mar 2, 2013 #5 of 33
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Fedex it. I Fedex all my luggage now. The TSA risk is too great at the gate and the guys sifting through your luggage have first dibs on all electronics under the plane.

I carry my laptop and my Kindle and two days worth of clothing.

6. Mar 2, 2013 #6 of 33
    tgater

tgater Godfather

Jul 24, 2007
    2nd

7. Mar 2, 2013 #7 of 33
    RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    3rded. Whether or not you're actually permitted to bring batteries of that size on a passenger plane, even disconnected, it's one of those things the nice untrained folks at the TSA would freak out about. FedEx it and save yourself the pain.

Edit: The answer's no. Anything larger than a drill battery is not supposed to be on the plane.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...fo/media/airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

8. Mar 2, 2013 #8 of 33
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    UPS your UPS ;)

9. Mar 2, 2013 #9 of 33
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I see the answer as yes.

By the PDF:
    Actually, UPS doesn't use Li-Ion battery (check your UPS,perhaps NiMH). All that limits mostly apply to battery with Li content.

10. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'm in the "ship it" UPS or FedEx gang. If you are dead set on having a UPS available immediately upon relocation, spend the extra money, buying one at Sam's or even BB. You will probably always be aable to find a use for it.

11. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Or take the UPS and leave the battery. Find a Batteries Plus where you are going and buy a new one. Overweight baggage fees or shipping fees might make this the cheapest option.

12. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    UPS batteries are almost always of the sealed-lead-acid type. I personally wouldn't ever put them on the plane. Ever see the overcharge fees if you go over 50 lbs per bag? :eek2:

13. peano

peano Icon

Feb 1, 2004
    Ship it. A UPS is only needed in rare circumstances. Doubtful you will need it at your destination before your bigger items arrive.

14. ts7

ts7 Mentor

Nov 1, 2011
    For what it would cost to overnight on a carrier or to pay the overweight fees on an airline, you could probably just about buy a new one and leave the old one for the next resident.

15. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    They don't like batterys and don't know one from another type so be safe and ship. I have had parts removed from my tool kit.

16. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    + 1 on the buy a new one when you get there. If you're going to ship one at all - then let it go with your other household goods. In the short term - you can probably get by just fine with a decent surge protector if you don't want to buy a new UPS.

17. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    All of my UPSes are sealed lead-acid. No go for airplanes. They're definitely NOT NiMH.

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Why "no go" ? That regulation didn't prohibit SLA batteries.

19. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Wow. From the title, I thought this was going to be a whole 'nother discussion, along the lines of booking passage on a "tramp steamer" instead of a passenger ship, back before transoceanic jets.

20. RasputinAXP

Jan 23, 2008
    Yes it did.

A sealed lead-acid battery is none of those things. As for check baggage, "all the batteries allowed in carry-on baggage are also allowed in checked baggage." There's no allowance for a sealed lead-acid battery there, either.