1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Folders - When will be able to organize recordings into folders?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by LawHawk, Jun 10, 2013.

1. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Is there a reason why we don't have folders on DirecTV? Is it just me, or has DirecTV completely overlooked this critical element of good user interface far too long? I would love to be able to sort programs I record into Kids, Movies, etc.?

I'm guessing they think we don't want it, because surely it would be easier to implement than other features they've added. Am I the only one who wants folders?

2. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'd like to see arbitrary named folders, and also a special feature of folder support for households with several viewers that watch the same shows:

The ability to place a given recording into several folders simultaneously. That way, each viewer could have their own folder, and they could add programs to it as they desired. When they were done viewing it, their delete command would only delete from their folder. The last user to delete it from "their" folder would be prompted with additional options like: "Delete from folder" (which would leave the recording in the "Root" folder) or "Delete from DVR".

I think this is a logical option for a "Home Media Center" like the Genies.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I would love to see folders or tagging, or something like user folders. With four TVs, two HR24s and an HR34 it is getting increasingly difficult to manage the 2TB of storage spread out across the home. We only have two users in our home. If I watch something I would like the ability to delete it from where I can see it's playlist, but still leave it where the other user in the house can see it. I can't imagine how trying it would be with four people in a house on one Genie+3 Clients.

4. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Try 4 people, 4 HR2x DVRs (3 with 1TB drives), 1 Genie and 7 viewing locations. :)

5. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Just curious. Does anyone do that? It would be interesting to see how it works. I haven't seen a DVR that does folders. Does Tivo do it now?

6. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Does anyone offer this feature now? Does Tivo offer this feature now?

7. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I know Dish offers custom folders on the 922 and Hopper but I don't know how well they work.

8. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    thanks.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It been well ask here, but as you well soon be told by someone here, we only represent only a small portion of DirecTV customer base and therefore don't figure into their bottom line.

Unlike the butterfly in North Africa that is supposed to be able to start a hurricane, our wants have little effect on DirecTV.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Well replaytv had it years ago.

11. Billzebub

Billzebub Godfather DBSTalk Club

Jan 1, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    HUH???

12. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    I knew that was coming.....if a modern HD version of replaytv were released it would be very popular, maybe even more popular than the craptastic Tivo....

13. Herdfan

Herdfan DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    And doesn't DirecTV own the remains of ReplayTV?

I think there are lots of features we should have that could be easily implemented but are not for whatever reason (Think easy access to the TODO List), yet we gets lots of random features that IMHO few people use, but they sound good on commericals.

14. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I'd like to see folders come to DirecTV DVRs but I'd also just like them to leave the firmware alone.... :grin:

15. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Seriously. Give me the choice between folders and the new "voice search" on the iPhone app and I'll take folders all day long. And I bet the cost of developing and implementing folders would be about 10% of what they spent on the voice search.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    There's so many things DIRECTV could do IMHO that would allow you to easily par down and sort and search through a playlist. I sometimes wonder if some people don't record as much as they could because of how difficult it is to navigate the playlist and par it down when multiple family members are recording several things.

17. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
  18. fleckrj

fleckrj Icon

Sep 4, 2009
    Cary, NC
    I would be happy if the list was in alphabetical order rather than ordered by the date on which it was recorded. I really have no need for folders.

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Sure they could if the the plush metro like graphics werent the biggest pile of crap on the planet ruining the latest version of Windows....why would I want the same graphics to screw up my DVR? fleckrj, you cam change your sort order to be alphabetical...

20. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I kind of laughed at the voice search, too. Thought it was a gimmick. Then I tried it and thought "nice gimmick." Now I find myself using it more than the key in search. It surprised me. Could I live without it, sure. But it actually works. (Although it had a very tough time finding the Artie Lange Show in a noisy car environment.)