1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Follow the news from Egypt today - not on DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Ed Campbell, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    There was no live coverage from Tahrir Square, this morning, as election results finally reached the people of Egypt.

Not on CNN or MSNBC, not on the OTA networks. The first place to take note was Bloomberg TV - on the crawl - beneath the Sunday morning tech show talking about Facebook.

Yes, my family did get to watch the announcement at the press conference, reaction in Tahrir Square, commentary from around Egypt, the Middle East, the rest of the world. That's what television has done so well for so many years.

Just not American television, anymore.

We watched on Aljazeera's English broadcast - streamed through Airplay from the Web via my AppleTV onto the television set in our living room.

If DirecTV carried BBC World Service or Aljazeera English we could have watched the live broadcast from Tahrir Square. But for whatever reasons we get, whatever excuses, the marketing decisions that trump service - we relied on the Web for timely news and television from sources DirecTV doesn't offer.

This isn't commentary about the event - but, the lack of coverage limited by American TV sources and the provider I have subscribed to since 1994.

My subscription continues. I watch more than the news. But, this is one segment of what interests me that relies more and more on sources outside the confines of DirecTV.

2. adkinsjm

adkinsjm Icon

Mar 25, 2003
    It's about money.

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    It was actually on Headline News this morning (not the entire thing, but the story).

The other big 3 news programs dont care about anything except the presidential race, and how many gaffes they can catch the candidates making. Its disgusting.

I also watch Al Jazeera English via satellite and web daily to get real news. The American news networks are just political outlets now.

4. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Aljazerra's coverage of the initial revolt a year ago was sensational. The Egyptian government kept shutting them down, but they had so many resources in Egypt that they kept coming back on in minutes.

I live in the Washington, DC metro area where we can get Aljazerra, Russia Today, France 24, NHK and a few other Americanized foreign channels right off the air.

5. davidatl14

davidatl14 Icon

Mar 24, 2006
    CNN(non headline variety) had coverage also. In fact they preempted Fareed Zakahria's GPS show in it's entirety to show Live Coverage from Egypt.

6. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I get Al Jazeera on my Rokus. Lots of ways to get if someone wants to.

7. WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    If there was something on that was incredibly notworthy we'd know.

I'd much rather get the Pac 12 Network than watch Egyptian news....sorry and I think most would agree.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Maybe, but this has major implications for that country and region. There needs to be more coverage of it.

9. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    And since the new regime hates Israel, and we are their military suppliers, it has a BIG implication for us as well.

10. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I watched AJ for the earthquake and tsunami in Japan last year. Had a neice caught up in it and found their coverage was far superior to that of anything found in the US. I can do it through ROKU, iPhone, and now the Samsung app store carries it for some TV models.

11. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Didn't the Egyptian Military gut the presidency last week? Or was that missed also?

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    True, but anything big in that region usually has implications for us.

13. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    That country, that region, not ours.

14. lyradd

lyradd Legend

Mar 20, 2006
    I don't know about live coverage but Fox News had coverage this morning for over an hour. They preempted a regular program to show it. You know, the Fox News that is fair and balanced unlike the other cable news stations that only give the far left news.

15. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    :lol: "Fair and Balanced"

16. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    I vote for neither.

17. zimm7778

zimm7778 Hall Of Fame

Nov 11, 2007
    Why can't you just say Fox News had coverage and leave it at that rather than turning it into a commercial complete media channel and ideology vs media channel and ideology? All of that crap from either side is so uncalled for and so unnecessary.

18. caseyf5

caseyf5 DIRECTV A-Team

Mar 21, 2009
    Bethpage,...
    Hello everyone,

The best way to become ignorant of the events going on in the world is to watch the American propaganda organs. "Ignorance is bliss". "We have always been at war with Eastasia / Eurasia". The prior statements have been brought to you by minipax and minitrue. :soapbox:

19. awblackmon

awblackmon Legend

May 20, 2009
    We all know that the most important reporting from many of the American networks is of some part of the female anatomy getting exposed "accidentally" and the reaction of the FCC. I for one don't care to see Aljazeera's broadcasts but I would perhaps like to see Canadian or British news broadcasts.

20. lokar

lokar Icon

Oct 7, 2006
    :lol: Pretty much. I remember trying to watch live coverage of the Egyptian protests last year and CNN (non HL) was the only channel I could find it. And to those who don't care about world events, you really should. The rest of the world finds America every now and then and it's good to know what's going on.