1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Follow up from last month.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by iamqnow, Mar 28, 2011.

1. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    About a month ago I posted about sending back equipment and having my account charged for over $500.00 by D*. Well here is an interesting update. Last week on 3/21, D* credited my account for 2 HD receivers, but not the HD/DVR. My bank is kinda asking, politely, WTF? D* sent 2 recovery kits with specific receiver #'s and what should go in each box. Followed instructions and dropped off (as mentioned) the next day at post office. Here's the weird part. 1 box had the HD/DVR and HD receiver. The other box had 1 HD receiver. So far, they only acknowledged getting back 2 HD receivers.Realistically quite impossible. They still owe me $253.00. Maybe I should demand my lease fee back too. Wish I could afford a lawyer.
    I will do my best to spread the word about their practices. Borders on criminal!

2. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the error was putting two receivers in one box. Did they specifically indicate that you were to put two receivers in one box?

3. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Positively, the cartons were 2 different sizes and they specifically said which units were to go in each carton. Model, serial # etc. So.. that was not my mistake.

4. bebop

bebop Cool Member

Mar 27, 2011
    If what you are saying is true, then call your state's attorney general or call Directv and tell them that you are going to call. If they don't do anything about it then file a complaint. They recently reached a settlement with many states for about $14 million to resolve BS like this.

That reminds me that I need to confirm that my receiver was credited to my account that was sent back a few weeks ago. Thanks.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Send an e-mail to Ellen Filipiak <ellen.filipiak@directv.com>, VP of Customer Service. Explain your situation to her and someone in her office should get back to you and help you resolve your issue.

Include as many details as possible, such as when receivers were sent back, when they were received, when you were charged and credited, etc...

- Merg

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Did you make copies of the tracking numbers and such for each box. I would add that to the email to ellens office...

Clearly, Diretcv has a lot of work to do when it comes to proper recovery and tracking of receivers being returned. Everyone that has this issue needs to write an email to ellens office. Forget lawsuits, they won't fix the issue. Higher ups having to deal with this problem on a daily basis will get the issue fixed.

7. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    D* gets literally thousands of receivers back every day. It would seem like there is a glitch in the systems between what D* uses and what Celestica (refurb company) uses to track returns.

It's unfortunate so many seem to slip through the cracks, hopefully your email to Ellen will help get the radar pointed towards the problem.

8. bebop

bebop Cool Member

Mar 27, 2011
    (I'm not the OP)
    Thanks all for the email address for Ellen. My two month long issue with them was resolved after a simple email to their office and a phone call back to me a day later (still need to confirm via the next bill). It was a different caliber type of help compared to my prior calls and emails to CSR's. I had even tried Costco's VIP support and they had been the most helpful in the middle, but couldn't do it all. It was like speaking to a normal person rather than robotic responses and I didn't have to re-hash out all the details to get them up to speed.

One of the things they did for me was credit my account upfront for $24 to cover the cost of the monthly base price difference of $2/month for 12 months that they couldn't fix on my bill even though I signed up before the increase.

9. xmetalx

xmetalx Godfather

Jun 3, 2009
    A simple phone call to D* should fix this. have them check the returning tracking # for the HDDVR you sent back. If they can verify it was recieved, and the HDDVR was tracked as returned, and its been more than 5 days, then ask them for a refund. It should be automatically refunded back to the credit card they had on file within 48-72hrs

@ the OP: It's not criminal at all. There are errors that can and do happen in real life where returns aren't properly processed and refunded. D* has a very specific policy for agents to follow in case something like this happens, which I just outlined above.

10. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    There are NO tracking numbers when prepaid items are brought to the post office. I was told, "you didn't pay for shipping, we cannot provide receipts or tracking information." I made copies of the labels and they are useless for tracking, I tried.

11. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    The post office can and should give you this information.

12. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    I called D* about a month ago, which is when they did "steal" from my account. That was 4 weeks after I shipped back the receivers and they claimed they had no record of any returns from me. 3 weeks later, 2 out of 3 receivers are "found!" Yup, I admit it, I am using the HD/DVR as an anchor for my boat.
    Sorry, they are just plain dishonest.

13. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Guess again. Try it at your local post office.

14. betterdan

betterdan Icon

May 22, 2007
    When I mailed my receiver back last year the lady told me to write down one of the numbers on the return label and use it for tracking. I forgte which number it was but I tried checking USPS or UPS site whichever it was several times and got no info. Finally over a month later I got info back when using that same number for tracking.

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    When all else fails there's ellen.filipiak@directv.com.

16. bebop

bebop Cool Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Right on. It worked for me after a two month bout.

17. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
  18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Apparently, the postal worker is able to scan the barcode on the box and it will print out tracking information. It seems that some of the postal workers don't know this and just refuse to do it.

- Merg

19. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Honestly, I don't call this dishonest.. I call it ridiculously unorganized and unacceptable. IMO the person in charge of all inventory functions should be fired and be replaced by someone who understands the concept and benefits of proper tracking off all inventory, both new, old, used, etc...

20. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Well, I tried the Ellen deal. They did get back to me and strange but true, my account was credited the previous day. They were unaware of this and said a correction would be forthcoming. So, they only borrowed my $535 for 2 months. Guess they needed it more than me. The person that called was extremely apologetic and admitted a serious problem exists with returns and credits.
    But, thanks for the contact advice, it does get results.