1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

For the love of God!!! HR24 audio dropouts

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by double, Jan 14, 2013.

1. double

double AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    WTF!!!! I cant take it anymore. I just searched the forum and I am seeing posts back to 2010 about the issue. I lived with it since i got my HR-24 in late 2010 because i always thought it was my POS Onkyo TX-SR606 surround receiver. I upgraded to a Yamaha RX-A820 and what do you know......still a problem. There is no rhyme or reason. live, recorded, no particular frequency. 2 freaking years with the smae problem? WOW! I have been a Direct customer for 13 years, i think i deserve a little better than this. is this still an issue for the HR-24 for most? Is it an issue for the HR34? I want to upgrade to an HR-34, but not interested if it also suffers from the issue.

2. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    I have two HR24's and one HR21. I have the occasional audio dropout on all three. By occasional, I mean several during a night's viewing. My signal strength is strong, so I have assumed it's just the DTV signal.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I find this a lot on my HR23 on CBS, FOX, ESPN AND GOLF Channels.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Indeed.

Assuming every audio drop is an HD DVR, DirecTV transmission, or connection issue is a mistake.

While audio is quite clean 99% + of the time...there are still occasional hiccups in the audio transmitted by networks and indivisual channels.

The best audio equipment in the world cannot compensate for an audio "hiccup" coming from the source or lost along the transmission path.

5. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    All HD stuff exhibits this, on every provider I have ever witnessed.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It does seem worse with Dolby on, and some AV receivers handle it better than others. It would make my Onkyo click. Still happens on occasion with my Denon, but without clicking. I haven't watched it in a few seasons but I swore it was worst with a particular program on History.

7. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    HR-24/500-It seams that model (500) may have more issues than any other HR receiver in the fleet.

If you search on the 500 series you will find a bunch of different strange happenings.

8. double

double AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    mine happens all of the time. when it happens, it is for a duration of 1-12 seconds. the frequency just completely varies. sometimes an hour can go by with nothing, sometimes it can happen 3-4 times in a half hour show. all that is required to "fix" it is to pause then play.

9. BAHitman

BAHitman Godfather

Oct 23, 2007
    Austin Texas
    I notice it on occasion, but it is usually in the recording as when I back it up, it is there so I don't blame the DVR, I blame the source. sometimes I can even see a video hickup in my locals...

I have seen it at friends house with TWC also so I don't think it's necessarily a DirecTV problem...

10. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Better to look for cause rather than to blame. ;)

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've got 2 Sony AVs and a Sammy AV and none of them click or have audio dropouts that I would blame on D* or the units themselves. I do hear some crap on Fox from time to time, heard it on the playoffs this weekend. That I'd blame on Fox. I still find it hard to believe that Fox still broadcasts in 720p. With that in mind, I'm not surprised to hear strange noises from their broadcasts.

Rich

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It's usually a broadcast problem.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You ever hear anything like that on your Sonys?

Rich

14. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Your sig. line indicates you're going HDMI direct to the TVs. Is that correct?

15. double

double AllStar

Sep 12, 2006
    huh? i pay them $200 a month! I shouldn't have to do anything whatsoever, but turn it on and enjoy. This problem has been present for almost two years or more!!!!!!! It is time for blame now! I have no problem with slight audio dropouts during channel changing or during FF RWD sessions, but this is ridiculous! I am about to throw a major bitchfest. None of my other boxes do this, they might have some of the standard anomolies, but not like this.

16. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I'm not sure what is going on with your 24, but my HR24-500 doesn't have these.

17. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    It appears you are referencing a specific issue with a specific HR24 HD DVR. As you have seen, others with HR24 units have not shared your experience.

In your case...and assuming there are no other issues that you've checked with connectors and/or cables on your HR24 and/or your Yamaha AVR...then you've likely checked the primary things you can check on your end.

It's not impossible that there may be an issue with either the HR24 itself or else the audio driver in the firmware to your specific model Yamaha AVR.

My recommendation is that you e-mail DirecTV support, share all the details of what you've checked and the specific model information of all your equipment...and let them recommend how they might solve your issue.

There could be a number of things leading to your experience, so it becomes somewhat of a process-of-elimination path to follow.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This probably won't help you much, but I think the 24-500s are one of the very best DVRs and one of the wackiest. I have six of them and they certainly are interesting at times. You might have one that has gone from wacky to shot. Might be time to consider swapping it out. I had to replace a couple of them, they just went nutz. Happens. Happens with all of them. They'll usually give you a 24 for a 24.

Rich

19. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Not doubting your issues. However, I as well as others who have HR24-500s are not experiencing what you are. Again, ldentify the cause before you blame.

20. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    No.