1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

For those of you in the West Palm Beach area...

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by RunnerFL, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1 of 15
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Starting with tonight's news at 11pm WPTV [Channel 5] is broadcasting their news in 1080i HD.

This means we should have 5.1 Audio for network broadcasts as well now.

I would have put this elsewhere if we had an area to announce stuff like this. :)

2. Aug 4, 2007 #2 of 15
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Shout out to WPB!

I lived in Boynton Beach (across from the Motorola campus) way back when.

3. Aug 4, 2007 #3 of 15
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........ DBSTalk Club

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Is that OTA only, or Sat feed also?

4. Aug 4, 2007 #4 of 15
    Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Just checked it out and the picture is pretty fantastic. When you compare an OTA HD picture to some of the stuff coming from DirecTV you really do see the difference. Hopefully, the new satellite will change some of those issues.

5. Aug 5, 2007 #5 of 15
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Both Sat and OTA.

Looks awesome.

And they are now going to "bumper" SD stuff as well, commercials, etc.

6. Aug 5, 2007 #6 of 15
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    You wouldn't recognize the place anymore. Motorola was demolished a few years ago. It's now a bunch of high priced condos and a shopping center. The farmland just to the south of it is gone too and it's now a Super Target and Best Buy shopping center. The Target just opened last weekend and the Best Buy is only about a month old.

7. Aug 5, 2007 #7 of 15
    Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Holy macarena! I left a month after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. It sounds like you know the area pretty well... What ever happened to the old "Boynton Beach Mall"? Hardly a mall at all even its day.

Someone told me the Banana Boat got washed away in the latest hurricane. Can you confirm that? Some of the best nights I'll never remember were spent in that place.

8. Aug 5, 2007 #8 of 15
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I was born and raised here, I've only lived outside this area for 3 years. I know it pretty well. :)

The Boynton Beach Mall is in the middle of getting a facelift. A brand new Muvico just opened up there in what was the parking lot, 18 or 20 theaters I think, Too Jays, etc.

The Banana Boat is still there, was just there myself not but maybe 2 months ago. IIRC it was damaged but it's been repaired. You're talking about the one on Ocean Ave right?

The person you got the info from may be thinking of the Banana Boat restaurant that was on Okeechobee and Military trail at one time, that place is long gone.

9. Aug 5, 2007 #9 of 15
    MartyS

MartyS New Member

Dec 29, 2006
    I was just scanning my OTA and noticed Channel 5 in HD this morning. The picture is absolutely incredible.

Their new graphics really takes advantage of HD. I just hope the rest of the Miami and WPB stations take a look. I'm almost ready to switch to watching them for local news so I don't have to look at SD pictures or stretch-o-vision, like most of the other stations in both markets are doing!

10. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    The Boynton Beach Mall made the national news last year when on Christmas Eve there was a shootout in the mall.

Behind the Banana Boat (and Two Georges) there's a brand new high-rise condo complex.

11. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Yeah, I agree. Their new color scheme really lends well to the HD. And they definitely aren't running in stretch, that's for sure.

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    I don't think any shots were actually fired but they were chasing two armed men thru the mall and had to evacuate it.

13. d max82

d max82 Godfather

May 23, 2007
    Are they doing their ENG ( in the field shooting) in HD as well or is it just in studio? Obviously most of their national feeds are in SD.

14. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    That figures.

One of my best friends used to be a mate on the Georges, and I used to fish myself on her when I was a boy. Good times.

Ken, if you're driving down Dixie Highway with a camera phone, could you take a shot of 2300 N. Dixie in Boca? It may or may not still say "Kimmen Center". I used to own a small business there and wonder from time to time what took my place.

15. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Too far away for me. :( One of these days I'll play around with an outside antenna again. My last one blew away in Hurricane Jeanne. It couldn't "reach out" far enough for WPTV though.