1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those of you wanting HD now!!!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Slamminc11, Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Found this earlier today. For those of you wanting to jump ship cause you thing Charlie is dragging his feet on HD or for those of you who already have left Dish for Directv because of their promises in all their ads, all I can say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Admin Edit: Please post a source link to the article instead of just the text.

2. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    Nice colors anyhow.. Green.. Brown... :)

3. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Um.... we already know this. DirecTV's own adds say they're launching more birds to do all this, and don't promise anything before those are up (this spring), nor immidiately after.

And the reason I left Dish for DirecTV? A HD-DVR that actually works as advertised out of the box without a billion software revisions that create two new bugs for everyone they solve.

P.S. How long have you worked for Dish? ;)

4. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    It says Summer, hmmm, thats only what, two Months away!

Competition is good, maybe then Dish will add ESPN-2 if Direct TV has it also. You never know.

Its bad that they are not adding it right now as Dish can now also delay following there competition

5. TRSmudge

TRSmudge Cool Member

May 28, 2004
    At least Direct HAS a plan......

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yea, this prediction doesn't say anything that folks looking at the various sites didn't know already. D* hasn't said anything about adding any new HD programming until their new satellite went up. From one of their press releases:

Local HD programming in the first group of markets will be available mid-year following the successful launch of the Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2 satellites in the second quarter. The launch of these satellites and two others - DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, scheduled to go aloft in early 2007 - will play a vital role in the dramatic expansion of programming capacity for DIRECTV, announced last September.

The Boeing-built Spaceway 1 and 2 satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels, bringing local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, and will enable DIRECTV to continue to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements. DIRECTV 10 and 11 will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels and more than 150 national HD channels and other new programming offerings. All four satellites will use spot-beam technology to deliver local channels.

DIRECTV will transmit all local HD channels and other new services from three Ka-band orbital slots co-located over the center of the country using MPEG-4 AVC, the new standard in digital video compression, and advanced modulation that will more than double the efficiency of DIRECTV's Ka-band capacity.

As mentioned, at least D*'s announced a plan, E* just says no new HD until MPEG4, but in the same breath says maybe a couple before then. I guess on the bright side, Charlie hasn't promised something that he can't deliver since no dates for anything have been announced by E* that I know of.

7. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Whether it's D*, E*, or one of the cable providers, in this industry it's all talk until the channels are on the air. Right now and I suspect for the foreseeable future, most of the decent HDTV I'll be watching will come OTA!!

8. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    This is so true, I dumped my HD Package as I find almost all of the HD Content I watch comes free from OTA (the big 4 networks)

9. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    The sooner D* gets THEIR channels, the sooner E* does to counter their offering.

Then again, they've had YES for 3 years with nary a shrug from E*, so who knows......

10. lazaruspup

lazaruspup Godfather

Mar 18, 2005
    I'm ont all that concerned with D*'s content as of yet as I only have SD receivers, but I did get a msg on my Comcast STB last night that we are getting two more HD channels starting April 1, our local NBC affiliate and Comcast RSN HD. I love finding little packages like that when I come home from work.

11. larrystotler

larrystotler Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2004
    Well, the OP needs to come up with a source or it needs to be deleted...........Chris?

12. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    I'm not going to waste my time going back and trying to find it, delete the damn thing if you want.

13. Bill R

Bill R Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2002
    You have got to understand that most articles are copyrighted and may not be posted here or anywhere else. In the future you should just post the link to the article unless you have permission from the publisher to quote it (even then a link is highly recommended).

14. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    You've wasted our time by posting copy protected material here without the source and without permission, which can cause trouble for the operators of this site. That's a fact of life, and why I informed Chris of what was going on. I for one do not want to see this site taken down when it is entirely preventable. If you notice, when the moderators post stuff, they always put used with permission and give a link, or just put the first part of the text with a link to the relevant site. That's the rules, and we must abide by them.

Anyway, perhaps we could get this thread closed before it turns into a flame war...........

15. Ric

Ric Godfather DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 26, 2002
    FWIW - a quick Google found the article.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/hdtvdirect032205.html

Just wondering if there is a small connection with slammin's vicinity to Charlie and his distaste for Directv. Me? I look forward to what Directv has for HD and extremely happy with my switch from DISH 3 years ago.

16. larrystotler

Jun 6, 2004
    I just wish that we could get rid of all the bashing and crap going around. I have both E* and D*, and there are good things and bad things about both. Adelphia's Cable TV service here sucks, but their cable modem is better than DSL. HD is great, but it's still in it's infancy, and other than making our requests for more, there is nothing we can really do but wait. I think HD is great, but I canna afford it, and won't be able to in the forseeable future. Oh well, such is life..........

BTW Ric, thanx for the link.

17. GB42

GB42 Mentor

Dec 16, 2003
    Like Larry says, there is good and bad about both.
    They BOTH advertise about how great they are and all how wonderful HD is, and it is . They just don't offer much in the way of HD content. Then except for all the locals in HD there really is not much good HD content to be had. (I don't live in a area that has local HD btw)
    I've had the HD pack for 1.5 years and other than the occasional sporting event in REAL HD I don't ever watch it . How many times can you watch the same stuff over & over on HDNET or Discovery HD????

All the talk about HD by the sat providers is just window dressing for the unknowing masses. Reality is widespread HD is still years away.

Voom should pull their head out of their rear end and simply offer their service as a $15 add on package to the other providers. Everyone with a HD set would signup for that.

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    While I would certainly consider that myself... I can't imagine how VOOM could possibly be a viable business at that rate, even if every HD customer did subscribe.

We just had (with Dish, and DirectTV customers too) price increases of $2-$4 or so this year with companies that have 11million+ subscribers... There are no where near that many people who would buy VOOM as an add-on, so if they weren't already broke... there's no way I could see them being a profitable or break-even business at only $15 per customer.

19. BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    I feel just the opposite. I couldn't imagine how V* could be viable in its current form, chasing a market that is only 8% of the market and forcing them to give up their allegiance to other services with 250+ channels.

As an add on to my E* service, I'd add it tomorrow if they had a package that just offered the channels I couldn't get from E* and didn't make me wire another receiver into my home theater. (I've already got my VCR, DVD Recorder, 921, XBox, GameCube, and a Laserdisc player taking up all of the available ports (I've got 6 video inputs on my Integra 9.1 receiver so I have more than most). I also have the outputs of the 921 going to my VCR and DVD Recorder so I can archive content when I want.

20. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The thing is... First off, they'd have to have some form of agreement with Dish/DirectTV to make it possible to do such a thing without extra equipment (receiver/satellite/etc)... and that would be hard to do... Where would the incentive for Dish/DirectTV be unless they got a cut of the profits? If they get a cut, then that increases the fee VOOM would need to charge.

As a strict add-on... they have an entire business to maintain, satellites and more... but if they could only charge in the $15-$20 neighborhood... and less than 10% of the people with Satellite service of some kind were the entire customer base... even at 100% market saturation, if everyone who could buy it did buy it... I don't think $15 per person would make them enough money to pay all their costs of doing business.

Don't get me wrong... I wish VOOM would survive... but I think to be an add-on they are too far ahead of the HD-customer-curve... and to be a standalone be-all company they just don't have enough going for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.