1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? for those who have had the install done

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by wilbur_the_goose, May 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Hi - some questions:
    1. How is MRV working compared to Ethernet?
    2. How is DirecTV on Demand working
    3. How is Media Share working compared to wired/wireless Ethernet?
    4. Are you happy with the service?

Thanks!

2. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Not a huge completely noticeable difference. My network traffic is down significantly though.

Possibly a little faster than via Ethernet. Haven't timed it though.

No difference with wired Ethernet

Absolutely

3. am7crew

am7crew Legend

Jun 5, 2009
    good to know, thanks for answering. Im getting mine install a week from Wednesday.

4. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    I'm wondering about the comparison to wireless. I have one HR20-700 with a Linksys wireless bridge, the other HR20-700 is directly connected. HDTV on MRV between the two never worked well for me.

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Wireless never worked at all for me with MRV and poorly with Media Share. 85 Mbps powerline worked for SD, but not HD. DECA works great here for all network apps.

6. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    You're going to be very happy! :D
    MRV on DECA or wired Ethernet (at least my Gigabit Ethernet) is flawless. Trickplay is a little slower than on the local DVR.

7. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    When we first started testing MRV I experimented with Wireless N. Even using a dual band bridge and router on the 5Ghz band didn't help. Performance was very poor.

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    For me wireless worked great, one way. My install is on Monday, looking forward to true MRV.

9. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Wife and kid love the DECA MRV. Eithernet and wireless would lock up and freeze a lot. No issues with DECA.

10. wilbur_the_goose

Aug 16, 2006
    Advice time - I'm seeing a lot of folks having major installer issues... I'm thinking I should wait a month or two. What do you think?

11. Phil T

Phil T Active Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I was in a test market but install was simple and straight forward. With the help of this forum I would think you would be ok as long as the installer brings you the correct equipment.

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    What's your current set up? We can help teach you what you'll need in case you need to help the installer.

13. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Oh, good -- you can do this for me, then :). I'm worried the installer won't get it right. As far as I know, all he's got to do is change out the multiswitch for a SWM, exchange the H20 for a newer H model, remove one cable from each of the DVR's that have two cables, & add the DECA.

We have:

1 HR22 with 2 cables & 2 BBC's
    1 HR20-700 with 2 cables & 2 BBC's
    1 HR20-700 with one cable & one BBC (set as a single tuner. I'll have to change that when the SWM is connected)
    1 H20 with one cable & one BBC

The only exchange is the H20 for a newer H box. Will the BBC's remain on each box & which tuner will need to be hooked up (since I believe only 1 cable will be needed after the SWM upgrade). And does the DECA go before or after the BBC.

14. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    With the change to SWiM, ALL BBCs get removed.

15. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    You won't have BBCs anymore with SWM. You'll have 4 DECAs (5 if you want the internet to get to each receiver).

16. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Thanks to both of you for the response. For the SWM change out -- all he has to do is remove the current multiswitch & install the SWM? And which tuner does the one cable go to after the change out.

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Most likely he'll swap the LNB to a SWMLNB, remove the switch and use splitters to feed all your receivers. The SAT #1 is all that get connected, since the DVRs are split internally to feed both tuners.

18. sigma1914

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    He'll either swap the LNB for a SWM LNB and add a SWM splitter, or swap the multiswitch for a SWM switch.

It's connected to Sat 1.

19. DirteeBirds

DirteeBirds New Member

May 15, 2010
    I have a lot of stuttering when playing a recorded tv show. I have a HR23 with the recordings and am watching them on a H23 receiver. I didn't notice any stuttering when using the beta MRV.

Here is my network/DECA setup:

From my router I have 1 connection going to my PC, 1 connection going to a 4 port hub at my entertainment center in the living room. From the hub I have 1 connection going to the 1st network port on the HR23 DVR, 1 to an Xbox 360, and 1 to a PS3. There is a DECA module at the DVR connecting to the 2nd port, and a DECA module at each of my 2 other H23 HD receivers.

Anyone else having stuttering problems?

20. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    If this is a hub and not a switch, then that is the problem.