1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

For those who own HR34's, Would you still get one if you had to do it over?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dbassman, Aug 16, 2012.

For those who own HR34's, Would you still get one if you had to do it over?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

135 vote(s)
    95.7%
  3. Maybe (explain)

6 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. dbassman

dbassman Mentor

Jul 27, 2007
    I'm seriously considering getting an HR34 when I sign up as I don't want to have to pay $400 later when the bugs are worked out...

So, I'm posing this question: For those who own HR34's, Would you still get one if you had to do it over?

2. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you had asked me 6 months ago I would have said no. But with the latest software for it it's a much better box and would have no problem recommending it.

3. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    There are still a few issues with it, but it's really a GREAT box if you record a lot of stuff. I LOVE being able to record 5 different channels at the same time-very rarely have I had a conflict, and when I did, I was able to find another viewing sometimes later that I could record. With the HR2x line, I had to have 2 of them. The storage on it is nice too (I upgraded to 2TB, but most people will be fine with the stock 1TB drive). I know a lot of people fear having too much on the drive, for fear of it dying. Connect the HR34 (Or any DVR) to a good UPS, and that will eliminate a lot of problems, and the chances of the hard drive dying prematurely.

4. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    Even with current and past issues, very simply, a resounding "yes." Virtually never having to be concerned with tuner or storage capacity when pushing the "Record" button is hugely advantageous.

5. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Yes, no doubt.

6. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    Y-E-S.

Best MRV-capable DVR on the planet earth (presently).

There's still a few bugs to work out, but the ability to concurrently record 5 independent shows, with 220+ hours of standard HD capacity, and PIP, with DirecTV's nationwide reach is fabulous.

TiVo doesn't yet do non-DVR clients (maybe Q3/Q4).

FiOS doesn't yet have a DVR with more then 2 tuners (maybe Q4/Q1).

So for me, the HR34 is it.

7. kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte New Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Outside...
    5 different CHANNELS. I REALLY like that overlapping timers on the same channel only use up one tuner (This is a feature of all Directv DVRs). Other DVRs don't do this. I use this mostly on Sunday nights. I record all of Animation Domination on Fox, but because of football, I just have all Series Links set to record an extra 3 hours. So come 10:00 I have 5 programs being recorded, but because they're on the same channel, only 1 tuner is actually being used. I don't know of any other DVR that does this!

8. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    Yes, without a doubt. A few nuisance issues but, in my experience, it is pretty quick and the five tuners is great!

9. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Yes!

PIP, 5 tuners, serves out 3 simultaneous MRV streams... It may have some rough edges, but this box has great potential. :)

10. Sixto

Sixto DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 18, 2005
    I should also add, my wife would also vote Yes.

She's not one to ever comment on technology, but she has commented that this 5 tuner thingy is wonderful, now never misses a recording. And 1TB is fine for her, though she hasn't dabbled in PIP.

11. woj027

woj027 Icon

Sep 3, 2007
    Portland, OR
    How do you get one? I went online and it says "available soon" for me. I was hoping to upgrade either our HR20 or HR23

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Call and ask what kind of deal you can get on an HR34. YMMV

13. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    I'd get a 2nd one if DTV would allow it.

14. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    i love the HR34, love the ability to record 5 programs at once, plus if you count on demand, thats a total of 6 programs being recorded at the same time, no dvr comes close to it, the cable dvr for timewarner sucks big time it is just a plain old dvr dual tuner, you cant even lock out the channels you don't subscribe to, love the pip feature nice to watch 2 live programs at the same time and just arrow down to switch between the 2 programs.

15. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    When I got it, I didn't think I'd ever use the 5 tuners at once. But a few months ago, I found 5 recordings going at the same time while watching a VOD movie. Didn't plan it just happened so it was quite cool that I could do that.

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Absolutely. Hr34 is the future. It has been 6 years but hr2x is yesterday's news.

17. Phil T

Phil T DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Yes, It is a great box. Now I am spoiled and could not switch to a provider without the 5 tuner capacity. You don't think you will use it and then wonder how you did without.

18. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    In a word...Yup! :)

Mike

19. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I would like to get one and after seeing the result of the poll it's seem like a no-brainer.

20. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I voted "maybe", as I don't have one, but that was the only way I know of to see the results- which really ought to be more interesting to those thinking of getting one than to those who already have 'em.

Is there some way to pop out the results without voting?