1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Force Update on HR20, not working?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by msgph, Sep 10, 2009.

1. msgph

msgph Legend

Feb 7, 2004
    Hi All,

I have DirecTV installed a few days ago. Since then, I have been pouring over the forums here looking for the ins and outs on my HR20.

One thing I have been trying to do, is force a software update. I have software 0x312, Fri 11/5, 6:00a. I have tried the force method by resetting the receiver from the menus and then typing in 0-2-4-6-8 when the round led lights come back on. However, I don't seem to get the blue message screen after that. The round led light just spins around and no video is on the screen at all.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

2. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    You can't force a software update. 0312 is current for your box according to Directv. They are spooling a new release(with DP), you will get it in time. Be patient.

3. msgph

msgph Legend

Feb 7, 2004
    I do understand that I cant force it to update to a new version that isn't in the stream, and I accept that.

My concern is that I never get the blue screens.

4. DogLover

DogLover Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It may be displaying in a format your TV can't receive. Does it eventually finish booting up?

5. Joe C

Joe C Godfather

Mar 2, 2005
    Sorry, I miss understood what you were saying. You don't see any blue screens at all on the TV ?

6. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The LEDs which light up at about the same time as the welcome screen appears. At that point, I enter the 02468 sequence and several seconds later the "searching for software" screen appears. Some TVs cannot negotiate HDMI until later in the process (component or composite should work).

The 0x312 version has been running during the day and 0x34C at night. Even if it is in the stream, you will not be able to force a download until your receiver has been authorized to receive it.

7. lazarus2297

lazarus2297 Mentor

Oct 16, 2008
    my R22 is doing something similar when i force the update i get "searching for new software (0312)" and some numbers in the top cycle up for like 15 mins with nothing else happening the progress bar shows but never leaves 0%. Then like I said after about 15mins the reciever then reboots and starts the restart process all over again. My HR21 in my living room upon force software download during the day did download the current 0312, then early this morning i did it again and it (HR21) downloaded the new 034c. It makes me wonder??:confused:

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Check your tv specs, if your tv doesnt support 480i over HDMI you will never see the startup screens. Do you have a Samsung tv?

9. msgph

msgph Legend

Feb 7, 2004
    No, I have a Sanyo plasma. It is possible that's what is happening. I may be doing it right, it's just that I can't see the screen. I will probably just wait for the national release at this point, but at least I know that I am most likely doing it right.

10. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I assume it eventually boots up for you, in spite of not seeing the blue screens?

11. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    curious, have you tried component just to rule hdmi out?

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I believe this is what happens when the your receiver hasn't been authorized for the currently-streaming version

0x312 is streaming during the day so that new installations will get updated to a more-current version; 0x34C is streaming overnight. This will probably continue until 0x312 is dropped completely.

13. msgph

msgph Legend

Feb 7, 2004
    Not completely sure. After there was no video for 5 minutes and just the led light spinning on the receiver, I hit the red reset button and it booted back up fine. This happened three times.

Next time I try it, I will let it go for twenty to thirty minutes and see if it eventually comes back up.

14. lazarus2297

lazarus2297 Mentor

Oct 16, 2008
    well actually it was a signal issue i had a splitter apparently not working right so i just by passed that and connected both tuners directly to the dish and during the day it did download the 0312 but the other morning i go it to take 34c so i all is good now.