1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forget DLB - Shouldn't pausing the SLB during playback come first?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Drew2k, Oct 29, 2007.

How important to you is having the pause position in the SLB remembered at all times?

1. [b]Very important[/b] - DIRECTV needs to fix this immediately (Can't have DLB without a working SLB!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. [b]Somewhat important[/b] - There are more pressing matters to be worked on

78.9%
  3. [b]Not important at all[/b] - I don't need it

21.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    UPDATED JANUARY 20008:

DIRECTV has issued new software version 0x1EA for the HR20 with a fix for the Single Live Buffer!

As of this release: If you press PAUSE on the live buffer, you can now go to the Playlist, pick a show and play it. When you press EXIT or STOP or complete that show and delete it, the live buffer will resume play from the point where you paused it.

In previous releases, this was not possible - if you had tried to pause the live buffer and play something from the playlist, when you returned to the live buffer it was always caught up to 'live' - it would not retain the pause position.

Also, in previous releases, the live buffer itself was occasionally purged when something from the playlist was played - when you returned to the live buffer, there were times you couldn't even rewind it, there was just NO buffer. With this release, that is not supposed to happen - there is always supposed to be a live buffer when you finish playling something from the playlist.

The original post follows ...

This is an offshoot of the original "Forget DLB ... Who wants SLBPP while playing back a recording?" thread ... but now there's a poll!

---

There are a lot of people here who want DLB - Dual Live Buffers, but that's not what this poll is about. I personally think asking for DLB is asking to put the cart before the horse, because before DIRECTV can deliver DLB, DIRECTV needs to get the single-live-buffer Pause Point working first.

What is the SLB Pause Point?

Well, that's the ability to pause the live buffer, watch a recording, and then return to the live buffer with the pause point retained. In other words, the live buffer is still paused exactly where you left it.

This item is already on the HR20 Wish List, but I think we need to get some more attention to it: Remember if the LIVE BUFFER is PAUSED, when using PREV to toggle between LIVE TV and recording PLAYBACK.

How does the HR20 handle pauses now?

Currently, you can press PAUSE while watching LIVE TV and play back a recording from your playlist, but if you exit the recording you find that the buffer is not paused where you left it. In fact, the buffer will be caught up to "live" as if pause was never pressed.

How should the SLB Pause Point work?

My implementation is exactly as described in the Wish List: Let the HR20 remember the position where the user pressed pause, and return the user to that pause point if the user exits a recording.

There's a 90 minute buffer on the HR20, so while the user is watching a recording during that 90 minutes, the live buffer pause point should be retained when the user exits the recording.

The exception would be when the user is watching a recording longer than 90 minutes. In that case, the buffer should only remain paused for 90 minutes, and then the pause point is cleared. However, when the user exits the recording, the users is taken to the START of the live buffer, not the end of it.

Why do we need SLB pause points to be remembered?

Well, you may not need it - it all depends on how you "watch TV". I would love to turn on a ball game, press PAUSE, and then watch something from my playlist. I could jump back and forth between my game (live TV) and my recording by hitting PREV on the remote, and I could watch two things at once: fast forward through slow parts of the game, but still keep up with it. (Yes, I could always record the ball game, but if my playlist is full, I wouldn't want to have to free up 3+ hours of recordings just to record it.)

Your thoughts

So what do you think? Would having the SLB pause point remembered be something you want? How much do you want it?

Please vote in the poll and add your voice below, and if you want this feature implemented, please remember to also vote for it in the HR20 Wish List by clicking here!

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Hmm, not sure how to vote.

I think it's more important than somewhat, but not as important as they need to fix it immediately.

I would rank it third or fourth on my list (CC, Option to turn of picture in guide, editable CIG).

What should I pick for the poll?

3. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Based on your personal ranking, I think you would choose "somewhat important" because you have matters you consider more pressing (CC, PIG, CIG, etc.).

If you want to wait to vote, maybe we'll get some more responses and see if there's a need to add some more options. If so, I'll request a moderator's assistance.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Maybe:

1. Should be the priority
    2. In the top 5
    3. Way down the list
    4. Don't need it.

But no need to change the poll on my account. Lets see how it pans out.

5. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Bump ...

6. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    I voted somewhat, although I don't think I've ever paused one show while I watched a recording. (on purpose that is)

7. hoopsbwc34

hoopsbwc34 Legend

Aug 13, 2002
    Since I was the one who asked to have it added to the Wish List, I voted "Very Important!" :D

8. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Currently 72% of the respondents want this to be fixed immediately. Let's keep those votes coming!

9. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    OK, so two bugs needs to be fixed:

1. Live Buffer PAUSE should work as expected: When you press PAUSE in live buffer then watch a recording and then return to live buffer, it should return to the PAUSE point.

2. PREV should work to go back and forth between two recordings.

Then basically you could have a decent DLB workaround?

Why don't these two features work as the manual describes?

If they worked right, DIRECTV is just a macro away from doing DLB.

The hardware and software already do dual live buffers. The problem is the interface.

- Craig

10. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Craig - You're absolutely right. If DIRECTV can fix this problem and make the software remember where the live buffer is paused, it would be so simple to "simulate" DLB ...

In the simplest scenario, I would be able to press RECORD on one channel, switch to another and watch live, PAUSE it at a certain point, then watch what I was recording from the playlist, hit PREV to go back to live TV and pick up right where I paused it! Then PREV would jump back and forth between live TV and the recording, and I'm watching two things "live"! It's a simpler workaround for DLB, because I only have to record ONE of the channels!

Let's get this done, DIRECTV!

If anyone else wants this, please vote and please post a comment to keep this thread alive and visible! The more votes we get, the more comments we get, the more attention we get!

11. PlanetBill

PlanetBill Icon

May 8, 2006
    I would be happy if when you started watching a recorded program, and then another program starts to record, that the live channel you were watching would still buffer.

I get burned by this all the time.

12. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    This is definitely a problem, and I wonder if this is contributing to why there is currently no saved pause position when a user plays a recording from the playlist ...

13. Milominderbinder2

Oct 8, 2006
    I posted this in another thread but it really needs to be here.

The HR20 Manual and the new HR21 Manual promise that PAUSE will work in several places.

PAUSE - Pauses current video p. iv (HR21-back cover)

Live Buffer: The DIRECTV Plus HD DVR saves programs to the hard drive instantly and continuously, while you watch. This “live buffer” lets you pause, rewind, fast forward or “instant replay.” p.12 (HR21-same page)

Cruise Controls: The PAUSE, FFWD, REWIND, REPLAY, RECORD and ADVANCE keys work with recorded programs just as they do with live TV. p. 13 (HR21-same page)

It can't be any more clear than that. It is not a misprint. It is in the new HR21 manual as well.

- Craig

14. Milominderbinder2

Oct 8, 2006
    If PAUSE worked as the manual promises, you could simulate DLB with this setup:

1. Go to game 1 (your anchor game) and press ®
    2. Go to game 2
    3. Press PAUSE
    4. LIST > PLAY

To toggle back and forth:

PAUSE > PREV

When you are done, it would take 3 keystrokes to delete the anchor recording:
    LIST > > Yes

Done. The toggle is 2 keystrokes instead of 1 but it is almost DLB...

- Craig

15. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Excellent posts, Craig, and you are right on the money: If I pause it, it should stay paused!

And if it stays paused, then we have home-grow DLB using the very simple method you describe.

All we need is for DIRECTV to fix it, and the benefits will be tremendous!

16. Milominderbinder2

Oct 8, 2006
    Do we know why PAUSE does not work like the manual says?

- Craig

17. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    just one of many things not accurate in the manual...

18. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I wonder if it has anything to do with how the buffer can get lost depending on what channel each tuner is on when a recording needs to start ... There are many reports that while watching a recording where the buffer was on say, channel 4, a recording needs to start on another channel, and when the user exits the playback, it's no longer on channel 4 but on a different channel. I'm not sure ... but it needs to be fixed!

19. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    If they fix it great! However, I have never missed a program due to this issue. If I'm watching live TV and want to continue watching the program later I'll use the nifty record button.

20. Milominderbinder2

Oct 8, 2006
    At that point you are still in the live buffer. Go to the other game and press PREV and you are at real time, not where you PAUSED. You will now have to press LIST > PLAY to go into the recording you are making.

Here is the current DLB Workaround from the Tips & Tricks.

To be able to go back and forth between two games...
    1. Go to the 1st program & press ® RECORD.
    2. Go to the 2nd program & press ® RECORD.
    3. Press LIST & ► PLAY the 1st recording.
    4. Press LIST & ► PLAY the 2nd recording.

To toggle between the programs: Press BACK . Highlight the other show & click ► PLAY.

Press LIST then ● RED delete each entry when you are done.

That is difficult to do. If pause worked, you could press PREV to go back and forth.

I know that ® RECORD is all we have but it is not really a workaround for PAUSE.

- Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.