1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Format Hopper External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by SeaBeagle, Feb 23, 2014.

1. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Can I format a hard drive that I used on my DISH Hopper do I can use the hard drive on my computer?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Yes but you will need some flavor of Linux I believe.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Not to be used by both at the same time... but if you are looking to use it on your computer instead of your Dish receiver, you should have some form of "disk manager" in whatever operating system you are using that will allow you to delete partitions and reformat.

4. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Any recommendations? I plan on using the had drive on my computer only.

When I look at the hard drive on the MY COMPUTER window the hard drive fir some weird reason is listed as a CD Drive. Why would a Western Digital hard drive be recognized as a CD Drive?

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Your computer may be seeing only the read only portion of the drive ... a small section with WD software for managing the drive. The writable portion of the drive should show up but may be unrecognized after your DISH receiver formatted it.

(Several of the recent drives I have purchased are "two drives", one with backup/drive management software and the other for the actual storage.)

6. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    I decided to forget the whole idea. I purchased me a 1TB Western Digital USB powered hard drive for 54.00 including shipping.

Model number is MFR: Western Digital MFR Part#: WDBUZG0010BBK-NESN. I may purchase another just fir a second backup.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, James is probably right... some hard drives have installable software on a partition that "looks" like a CD drive to many computers for ease of installation of that software (should you choose to install it)... you probably are just as well off having a new drive, though, and you know what you're doing with that one since you'll be starting from scratch.

8. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Oh I finally formatted the hard drive using EaseUS. Took awhile to figure out but worked. Not backing to every file on my computer using My PC Backup.