1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former customer returning to Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Red Green, Jul 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Red Green

Red Green New Member

Jul 10, 2010
    I had Dish network until March of last year when my job relocated me to Canada. I'm now back and may want to re-establish service. I have called and have gotten conflicting information. Would I be considered a "New" customer and get the discounts? Some CSR's say yes, others have said no. I had to send all equipment back, so I would be starting from scratch.

2. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    I would say that you could use it as a bargaining point. Just say that you are comparing E* & D* (which isn't a bad idea) and that the new customer deal would tip things in E*'s direction. You might have to be transferred up the chain a little. That's what I did several years ago and I got the new customer deal. I don't know if it would work for you since you have been away for under a year though. I was away from E* for at least two years.

3. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    If you were formally a customer for at least 6 mos, closed your account voluntaraly paying all fees owed and have not been a customer within the last 3 months, you may qualify for the "Formers DHA24" promo. Assuming you credit qualify, you will receive essentially the same offers a first time customer would.

4. dtvmike1652

dtvmike1652 AllStar

Jun 14, 2010
    Just keep in mind that you would get a whole lot better deal with Directv especially more channels for basically the same price that you are going to pay with Dish after all of their fees that they don't inform you about when you sign up.

5. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    You don't say! What a deal.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    On large accounts with several receivers the receiver fees add up ... but otherwise your just spouting lies. Probably something that you were told by someone uniformed, but simply not true. (Per federal filings, the average DISH customer pays at least $10 less per month than the average DirecTV customer. And any fees are clearly stated at signup. Just add tax - which DirecTV must charge too.)

Comparisons between the two systems are personal ... which is the best value depends on a lot of factors including the channels desired and the number of receivers needed. As a former DISH customer Red Green already understands how the receivers and company works.

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    :welcome_s
    You likely will get this program. Since you're a former Dish customer, you probably already know about CSRs.

But just in case, we have a term here called "CSR roulette." Yes it's frustrating, but you may have to call more than once to get a CSR who is familiar with the program.

8. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    The only other suggestion I could add would be if your married, signup for a "New" account under your wife's name and that would certainly qualify you as a 'new customer'.

9. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    load of crap unless you are getting 3+ receivers...but nice try there sparky! :rolleyes:

10. bryanw3535

bryanw3535 Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    Sparky's somewhat right.

My story...

I went from Dish to cable to DirecTV to Fios and now back to DirecTV. After trying all options, Dish and DirecTV were definitely the best two.

I was a Dish Network customer for two years, ended my service with them voluntarily, and returned all equipment undamaged and on time.

After I was unhappy with Fios, I decided to return to satellite and TV happiness.

I called both Dish and DirecTV three times each to get their best offers. Six calls. I got the same "best offer" from Dish CSRs each time and the same "best offer" from DirecTV.

Even though I left on good terms four years ago, each Dish rep told me the only way I could sign up for their service was to purchase all of the boxes. The friendly, terse CSRs said that after I went to Best Buy or wherever to buy two boxes at full price, they'd be happy to schedule an installation. They told me I'd get their best, new customer programming offer. But only after spending $700 on equipment first.

I left DirecTV a year ago, and they welcomed me back with a free HDDVR, free HD receiver, free Internet connection kit, free installation, and their best programming deal.

On my second and third calls to Dish, I told them about DirecTV's offers. "I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do sir" was all I heard from them

It's just one person's experience, but it certainly made my decision easy for me. Why does Dish network hate me?

11. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I have Fios for internet, and it's great!

Been considering Fios TV as it seems they have essentially unlimited bandwidth.

May I ask what caused you to be unhappy with Fios?

12. Wayne

Wayne AllStar

Jul 1, 2003
    After being a former Dish customer (less than 9 months) I went through my local satellite dealer. I basically got the new customer deal plus he added a $50.00 rebate to my account. I knew what I wanted and the local dealer did exactly as I asked. I didn't have to play CSR roulette with Dish. He may have had to, but I didn't.

You can look in your phone book or search online for dealers that have a physical location in your town. You may want to check with the BBB before calling since there are a few bad dealers. And be careful of those dealer ads you get in the mail or newspaper. They are usually not local.

13. bryanw3535

bryanw3535 Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    Hey SaltiDawg.

I kept my FiOS Internet. With 25 up/25 down at a decent price, I'm probably a FiOS customer for life!

I was generally happy with the programming choices on FiOS TV, but the equipment just wasn't doing it for me.

Also, when you add what I'm paying for the FiOS Internet+phone bundle to what I'm paying for DirecTV, it's cheaper than the Triple Play I was getting with FiOS.

I also feel like satellite providers are so competitive that they force eachother to improve at a faster rate than the "land-based" companies. I could be wrong.

Your point about FiOS capacity is interesting, though.

14. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    The Fios DVRs seemed pretty weak when I looked about two years ago.

I dropped the Fios telephone last year and switched to Vonage. Vonage with a solid internet connection like Fios is an excellent connection, and by paying a year in advance the Vonage costs me $25 a month and it has like 25 services.

Also, the Fios internet speed allows Netflix Live to look great via my Xbox 360.

I'm still keeping my eye on the Fios TV. :)

15. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Best Buy sells DirecTV,not Dishnetwork.:confused:

16. bnborg

bnborg Icon

Jun 3, 2005
    That's what I thought.

There was a time when Sears sold Dish but that was YEARS ago. :rolleyes:

17. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg New Member

Aug 30, 2004
    I bought my 508s years ago at Costco.

18. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I bought my first 301 and dish at Wal-Mart, self installed and got a credit each month for one year that paid for the initial equipment. Later that year I bought a second 301 from a dealer new-in-box via eBay and added it to my account. DISH raised my monthly credit to what it would have been if I had originally installed a two receiver system.

I am really glad that the option to pick up a system at a store and install it myself for free was available. I wish it were as easily available today. Having receivers in stores to pick up and go was a good marketing plan.

19. MSoper72

MSoper72 Godfather

Jun 18, 2004
    I agree with you! Plus, you do not have to wait around for the tech to come out with your receiver.

20. bryanw3535

bryanw3535 Legend

Aug 1, 2008
    I have no idea, but the Dish CSR definitely said to go to Best Buy.

Oops!