1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

"Fortified" ice cream?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by AntAltMike, Jun 21, 2013.

1. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    I recently checked the nutrition labels on an ice cream contained and was surprised to see that it was nutritionally bankrupt. When I was a kid, my mother used to let me have ice cream when i was ill because she (and I) both figured that since it was made from milk, it must be good for me,

Milk is apparently unnaturally fortified with Vitamin D, so why isn't ice cream similarly fortified, or is some and I just haven't found it yet?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Must have some nutritional value, no?

Rich

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Heck, Breyer's can no longer be called Ice Cream, it's "Frozen Dairy Dessert". For us, it's something we get on occasion, so when we do we usually splurge on one of the local varieties that are at least closer to the real thing.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had a friend who was in the ice cream business. He explained the difference between premium brands and cheap brands. Simply put, the heavier the container (assuming both are the same size) the better the ice cream. I've found that to be true.

Rich

5. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    What did happen to Breyer? About four or five years ago it became uneatable.

6. dmurphy

dmurphy New Member

Sep 28, 2006
  7. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Right, some air is important, but is also cheap.

Best ice cream I've ever had is Jeni's from Columbus, but that stuff sells for almost $10 a pint locally.

8. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    Hmmm...

I googled Vitamin D milk and nutrition, and none of the vitamin D milk entries found in the three highest google rated pages said that a single serving of Vitamin D milk had even 1% of my recommended daily allowance (standard that replaced minimum daily requirement many years ago)

From a New York Times web page dated today:

From a source called Fooducate:

Gee, I think that if I get one fourth of an essential nutrient from one serving of anything, that's pretty good, but it doesn't explain why the three pages I checked for Vitamin D Milk's vitamin D content had it at zero

9. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Has to do with the cream content. Cream is heavier than water and other liquid fillers. Premium ice creams have more cream, which is also why they're more expensive given dairy prices.

Whole milk is just one of those things that are better for you naturally. Like pure orange juice, honey and a few other things.

The problems start coming in when companies like Monsanto enter the picture with their 'modifications' so that you really don't know what you're getting.