1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fox 31 HD ALCS game freezes in Denver??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by denvermtnguy, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. denvermtnguy

denvermtnguy Mentor

Jan 23, 2007
    Is it just me or are there problems with Fox HD feeds nationally or in Denver area? My HR20-100 (in fact both of them) have had repeated problems freezing when watching Channel 31 Fox during the American league series. ONLY the Hd feed, if I change to SD, no problem. Many times, the audio feed is off and the video is fine; sometimes the video is frozen and the audio is fine, but lots of problems. Usually, I can do a rewind and wait a few moments and then do live play and it fixes itself.

Reminiscent of problems with Channel 97 spotbeam RSN problems reported earlier.

Just me?

2. alaskahill

alaskahill AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Been watching the Redksins Packers game on 31 here in Boulder on the D* HD feed and having the same issues.

3. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    I saw exactly this several time during ALCS game 2 last night on FOX 31 Denver (LiL MPEG4), as well. As a matter of fact, one of the freezes caught the ball bouncing off some stadium structure for a HR during the 11th when the Indians broke it wide open. I also had the audio just disappear a couple of times as well for a few minutes at a time.

I was wondering if this was a local issue as well. Starting to look local.

4. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I have noticed a couple of times lately the sat HD feed for 31 would be blank on my HR20. Switching to the OTA HD feed solved the problem.

5. Iwanthd

Iwanthd AllStar

Oct 17, 2006
    I've noticed the problems on the local channel as well. When I switch to ch. 89 (MPEG-2 feed) the problems are not there, KDVR has a little clean up to do.

6. Knepster

Knepster Legend

May 31, 2006
    It doesn't appear to be KDVR because I started watching via OTA and it was fine. Someone else in this thread also said their OTA was fine.

7. alaskahill

alaskahill AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    I had the same exact issues on my HR20 w/ the game last night too (along w/ the previously mentioned redskins game issues).... Something is definitely up with D*s HD feed of this channel...

8. SnowManson

SnowManson Cool Member

Sep 23, 2007
    I also noticed this problem during the past 2 baseball games on Fox (KDVR). I had to switch to the SD feed at times, it was brutal. This was especially embarrassing because my dad is in town and I was trying to show off the HD quality. So much for that.

9. denvermtnguy

denvermtnguy Mentor

Jan 23, 2007
    Same experience having to switch to HD just to get both audio and video. Bad FOX or DTv or someone!

10. JDubbs413

JDubbs413 Icon

Sep 4, 2007
    It's clear on WJW Fox HD here in Ohio. I would say it'd have to be a local station issue or maybe a spot beam issue in your area.

11. alaskahill

alaskahill AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    Happened again last night in the Red Sox Indians game. I couldn't watch more than 10 minutes before that channel would freeze up. Channel 89 was fine, and it would clear up if I changed the channel and changed back again.

Someone else commented that the OTA broadcast had no issues, so something with the spotbeam. Anyone have this issue that was not an HR20?

By the way the way the TBS HD broadcast of the Rockies game was flawless as of course the Rockies were ....even though we were lucky given that they got outplayed by the Diamondbacks for the fourth time in a row :rolleyes:

12. code4code5

code4code5 Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    KCNCHD via Mpeg4 last night was horrendous. Had to switch to OTA because of the audio drops.

13. JMartinko

JMartinko Legend

Dec 16, 2006
    I normally watch Fox 31 on OTA, but after seeing this thread I switched to the spot beam feed and saw the same freeze issues at least three times. You are correct, it certainly does make the game unwatchable. Fortunately I have the luxury of switching back to the OTA feed to watch the game. I sure hope D* is reading this thread....that is a NASTY problem. FWIW, I have not seen this problem on the OTA at all, and when it did freeze and I went back to the OTA everything was fine there.

14. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    This is the first time I have watched Fox but it is doing it for me too. I get the LA Fox so I am going to try that for a while.

15. Knepster

Knepster Legend

May 31, 2006
    Yeah, froze again tonight at the end of the first. I'm glad OTA works fine.

I hope DirecTV can get this fixed in the next week. I'm sure there are a lot of people who don't use OTA, and having this problem during the World Series would be awful.

16. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    Just froze up for the duration of the pitch/hit of Ramirez' home run in the top of the 6th. I got to seem him trot into home though. Too many audio dropouts to count, including one that lasted over 10 minutes from the 6th into the 7th inning. Really annoying.

So, it seems to be the consensus that this is a DIRECTV/local encoder issue, not a KDVR issue?

17. alaskahill

alaskahill AllStar

Jul 15, 2007
    I notice from your signature you have an H20. Did you see the issue on that box also or just the HR20?

18. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Didn't even check the H20 so I can't answer.

I watched the LA feed of the game for a while with no problems, then I tweaked my antenna enough to get it OTA and had no problems. The HR20 has nowhere near the OTA tuner the H20 or even my old LSS3200 does. I used to be able to get 31 with the antenna pointed at RP, now I have to carefully aim it for 31 and any RP station is hopeless

19. c152driver

c152driver Legend

Jan 21, 2007
    I'll add my vote. Same problems here. Am I going to have to hook up my OTA antenna for the World Series??

20. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I realize I might be grandfathered and they dont offer it anymore, but since Fox (and CBS) are network O&O you dont need a waiver from the station to get the national feeds from Los Angeles. Might be something to check out, there is no charge for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.